By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game Notes | Live Stream | Listen
HOUSTON — Rice opens the 2016-17 campaign when it travels to Harrisonburg, Va., to face James Madison on Sunday, Nov. 13, at 1 p.m. CT. The game will be live-streamed for free at JMUsports.com.
• Rice returns seven letterwinners from last year’s squad that finished 12-20. However, of those seven, four are returning starters.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans leads the team after leading all freshmen in the country in scoring, averaging 21.4 points. He also averaged a league-best 2.2 steals.
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov averaged 16.7 points, sixth-best in C-USA and a team-high 7.0 rebounds.
• Sophomore forward Marquez Letcher-Ellis averaged 10.2 points and 5.0 rebounds, which was second on the team. He also averaged 1.1 blocks and made 51.4% from the floor.
• Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw scored 8.5 points per and led the team in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 38.8%.
• Forward Andrew Drone is the lone senior on the team. He averaged 7.4 points and 4.1 rebounds last year.
Scouting James Madison
• James Madison opened the season with a 62-55 loss at Conference USA foe Old Dominion Friday night.
• Preseason All-CAA member Shakir Brown had a team-high 16 points. Joey McLean was the only other Duke in double-figures with 10 points.
• The Dukes return four starters from last year’s team that went 21-11.
• Brown is the team’s leading returning scorer, averaging 10.9 points. He also grabbed 5.7 rebounds and connected on 81.1% from the free throw line.
• Yohanny Dalembert, who was also named to the Preseason All-CAA team, scored 9.3 points and pulled down a team-high 6.8 boards. He also led the team in blocks (39) and field goal percentage, connecting on 54.2% from the floor.
• Head coach Louis Rowe is in his first season at the head of the James Madison men’s basketball program, with a 0-1 record.
• This will be the first-ever meeting between Rice and James Madison.
• The Owls begin their home schedule next Wednesday, Nov. 16, when it hosts crosstown foe Texas Southern. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and the game will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.