By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Game Notes | FloSports | Listen | Gametracker | Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice will open the 2017-18 campaign when it welcomes Eastern Kentucky to Tudor Fieldhouse on Friday, Nov. 10, at 7 p.m. CT. The game will be livestreamed at FloSports.tv.
• Rice returns eight letterwinners from last year’s squad that finished 23-12 and made it to the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational. However, of those eight, only one is a returning starter.
• Guard Connor Cashaw is the team’s leading returning scorer and rebounder, averaging 8.0 points and 5.3 rebounds last year, which was second on the squad.
• Of the 15 Owls on the roster, 10 are freshmen or sophomores. Of the 10, sophomores Ako Adams, Tim Harrison, Robert Martin, Austin Meyer, Addison Owen and Grant Youngkin are the only players who have seen action at Rice.
• Sophomore Josh Parrish will sit out this year due to the NCAA Transfer rule.
• Head coach Scott Pera is beginning his first season leading the Rice men’s basketball program after serving its last three years as its Associate Head Coach.
Scouting Eastern Kentucky
• Eastern Kentucky returns nine letterwinners and three starts from last year’s squad that finished the season 12-19.
• The Colonels were picked to finish fourth in the preseason poll, selected by Head Coaches and Sports Information Directors.
• Junior forward Nick Mayo and sophomore guard Asante Gist were selected to the preseason All-Conference team.
• Mayo led the team last year with 18.5 points while also pulling down 6.5 rebounds. He also led the squad with 1.4 blocks while connecting on 77.4% from the free throw line.
• Gist averaged 15.9 points and 3.8 assists last year while being named to the OVC All-Newcomer Team. He also led EKU with 64 three-pointers.
• Head coach Dan McHale is beginning his third season leading the Eastern Kentucky men’s basketball program. He has compiled a 27-35 record.
• This is the first-ever meeting between Rice and Eastern Kentucky.
• The Owls host Georgia State on Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. The game will be a part of the MGM Grand Main Event and will be live-streamed at FloSports.com.