By: Tim Andrzejewski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Live Audio | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice will play its first game of the 2016-17 campaign when it welcomes the Our Lady of the Lake Saints to Tudor Fieldhouse on Saturday, Nov. 5, at 7 p.m. CT. It will be the lone exhibition game of the year for the Owls.
• Rice returns seven letterwinners from last year’s squad that finished 12-20. However, of those seven, four are returning starters.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans leads the team after leading all freshmen in the country in scoring, averaging 21.4 points. He also averaged a league-best 2.2 steals.
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov averaged 16.7 points, sixth-best in C-USA and a team-high 7.0 rebounds.
• Sophomore forward Marquez Letcher-Ellis averaged 10.2 points and 5.0 rebounds, which was second on the team. He also averaged 1.1 blocks and made 51.4% from the floor.
•Sophomore guard Connor Cashaw scored 8.5 points per and led the team in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 38.8%.
•Forward Andrew Drone is the lone senior on the team. He averaged. 7.4 points and 4.1 rebounds last year.
Scouting Our Lady of the Lake
• Our Lady of the Lake enters the season ranked 14th in the Preseason NAIA poll.
• The Saints finished 22-9 last year and made an appearance in the NAIA Division I National Championship Quarterfinals.
• Our Lady of the Lake returns six letterwinners off of last year’s squad, including two starters.
• Senior forward Joe Jackson led OLLU in almost every major category, including points (20.1), rebounds (9.7), blocks (2.5), field goal percentage (.568), three-point field goal percentage (.412) and free throw percentage (.791).
• Junior guard Darrion Brown scored 9.1 points per game while leading the team in both assists (5.0) and steals (1.9).
• Head coach Ryan Wall is beginning his fourth season leading the Our Lady of the Lake men’s basketball program. He has compiled a 68-26 record and has led the Saints to a conference regular season championship and two trips to the NAIA National Tournament, including an Elite Eight trip last year.
• This will be the first-ever meeting between Rice and Our Lady of the Lake.
• The Owls begin the season with a road trip to James Madison on November 13. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT. The game will be live-streamed for free at JMUsports.com.