July 26, 2013
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Following a set of 10 summer practices, Rice University men's basketball takes a break from the Houston heat with a six-day trip to Canada, July 30 to August 5. The Owls play three exhibitions on the foreign tour against Canadian collegiate teams to prepare for the upcoming 2013-14 campaign.
Under sixth-year head coach Ben Braun, Rice opens the tour with University of British Columbia on Wednesday, July 31 at 7 p.m. PT. The Owls then follow up against the University of Fraser Valley on Aug. 1 and then Capilano University on Aug. 3.
The Owls return eight players from last season's squad and add seven newcomers to the mix for 2013-14. All 15 student-athletes will participate in the trip and look to gain valuable game experience as a group.
Conference USA all-freshman team selection Max Guercy is Rice's top returning scorer at 9.5 points per game. Forwards Seth Gearhart and Ross Wilson bring back 43 combined starts from last season, and recently-minted C-USA Scholar Athlete of the Year Austin Ramljak brings back 9.0 points per game and 17 starts a season ago for his senior campaign.
The experienced group is joined by the program's five early signees - Drew Bender, Denzel Davis, Andrew Drone, Marcus Jackson and Sean Obi - as well as newcomers Joey Burbach and Hunter Eggers. The newest Owls spent the month of July taking summer school classes while working out with the returnees.
|Rice vs. University of British Columbia Thunderbirds|
|July 31, 7 p.m. PT | UBC War Memorial Gym|
- UBC posted a 28-8 record last season, including a 18-4 mark in conference play.
- The squad averaged 82.9 points per game and won 18 of its first 20 games in 2012-13.
- Forward Brylle Kamen is the team's top returning scorer after notching 11.6 points and 9.4 rebounds last season.
- Head coach Kevin Hanson enters his 14th season at the helm, having won more than 300 games with his alma mater.
|Rice vs. University of Fraser Valley Cascades|
|August 1, 7 p.m. PT | Envision Athletic Centre|
- Head coach Adam Friesen enters his second year as head coach of the Cascades after last season's 14-13 mark, including a 12-10 record in conference action.
- The Cascades averaged 76.7 points per game on 41.7 percent shooting, with nearly 45 percent of the team's field goal attempts coming from beyond the three-point line.
- Top returnee Kevon Parchment finished second in scoring last year with 16.9 points per game.
- Last year's team finished 12-10 and advanced to the Canada West "Final Four" by defeating the University of Saskatchewan in a three-game series in the CW quarterfinal playoff series.
- UFV hosted NCAA Division I programs Cal State Northridge and Eastern Washington for exhibitions last season, falling in both contests.
|Rice vs. Capilano University Blues|
|August 3, 1 p.m. PT | Capilano University Sportsplex|
- Capilano placed fifth in the PacWest Conference last season with an 8-13 record in league action.
- Dwayne Selby returns for his second season as head coach after leading the league's youngest team in his first year at the helm.
- The University sponsors six varsity sports, with men's and women's teams in basketball, soccer and volleyball.
Follow the Owls on their Canadian trip with updates on RiceOwls.com.
Men’s Hoops Hosts Crosstown Foe Houston...
11/29/2016 - Rice returns home this Wednesday, Nov. 30, when it hosts crosstown foe Houston Baptist. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed by...
Koulechov's Career Day Leads Rice to 87-79 Win ...
11/26/2016 - Egor Koulechov made all six of his 3-point attempts for a career-high 35 points as Rice pulled away late to beat Incarnate Word 87-79 on Saturday.
Men’s Basketball Heads to San Antonio to ...
11/25/2016 - Rice stays in the state of Texas this Saturday, Nov. 26, when it travels to San Antonio to face Incarnate Word. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CT.
Rice Uses Late Spurt to Down Delaware State, 80-58
11/23/2016 - Rice outscored Delaware State, 35-12, in the final 10 minutes to earn an 80-58 victory Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Basketball Closes Homestand against...
11/22/2016 - Rice closes its homestand this Wednesday, Nov. 23, when it hosts Delaware State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Second Half Comeback Propels Rice to 83-78...
11/21/2016 - Marcus Evans scored on a layup and knocked down 3 of 4 from the free throw line, all in the final minute, as Rice held off Montana State 83-78 on...
Men’s Hoops Opens Homestand Against...
11/20/2016 - Rice begins a two-game homestand this Monday, Nov. 21, when it hosts Montana State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Red Hot Shooting Leads Rice to 100-87 Victory...
11/19/2016 - Rice shot 63.3% from the floor on its way to a 100-87 win at Nebraska-Omaha, Saturday afternoon.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store