July 26, 2013
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Following a set of 10 summer practices, Rice University men's basketball takes a break from the Houston heat with a six-day trip to Canada, July 30 to August 5. The Owls play three exhibitions on the foreign tour against Canadian collegiate teams to prepare for the upcoming 2013-14 campaign.
Under sixth-year head coach Ben Braun, Rice opens the tour with University of British Columbia on Wednesday, July 31 at 7 p.m. PT. The Owls then follow up against the University of Fraser Valley on Aug. 1 and then Capilano University on Aug. 3.
The Owls return eight players from last season's squad and add seven newcomers to the mix for 2013-14. All 15 student-athletes will participate in the trip and look to gain valuable game experience as a group.
Conference USA all-freshman team selection Max Guercy is Rice's top returning scorer at 9.5 points per game. Forwards Seth Gearhart and Ross Wilson bring back 43 combined starts from last season, and recently-minted C-USA Scholar Athlete of the Year Austin Ramljak brings back 9.0 points per game and 17 starts a season ago for his senior campaign.
The experienced group is joined by the program's five early signees - Drew Bender, Denzel Davis, Andrew Drone, Marcus Jackson and Sean Obi - as well as newcomers Joey Burbach and Hunter Eggers. The newest Owls spent the month of July taking summer school classes while working out with the returnees.
|Rice vs. University of British Columbia Thunderbirds|
|July 31, 7 p.m. PT | UBC War Memorial Gym|
- UBC posted a 28-8 record last season, including a 18-4 mark in conference play.
- The squad averaged 82.9 points per game and won 18 of its first 20 games in 2012-13.
- Forward Brylle Kamen is the team's top returning scorer after notching 11.6 points and 9.4 rebounds last season.
- Head coach Kevin Hanson enters his 14th season at the helm, having won more than 300 games with his alma mater.
|Rice vs. University of Fraser Valley Cascades|
|August 1, 7 p.m. PT | Envision Athletic Centre|
- Head coach Adam Friesen enters his second year as head coach of the Cascades after last season's 14-13 mark, including a 12-10 record in conference action.
- The Cascades averaged 76.7 points per game on 41.7 percent shooting, with nearly 45 percent of the team's field goal attempts coming from beyond the three-point line.
- Top returnee Kevon Parchment finished second in scoring last year with 16.9 points per game.
- Last year's team finished 12-10 and advanced to the Canada West "Final Four" by defeating the University of Saskatchewan in a three-game series in the CW quarterfinal playoff series.
- UFV hosted NCAA Division I programs Cal State Northridge and Eastern Washington for exhibitions last season, falling in both contests.
|Rice vs. Capilano University Blues|
|August 3, 1 p.m. PT | Capilano University Sportsplex|
- Capilano placed fifth in the PacWest Conference last season with an 8-13 record in league action.
- Dwayne Selby returns for his second season as head coach after leading the league's youngest team in his first year at the helm.
- The University sponsors six varsity sports, with men's and women's teams in basketball, soccer and volleyball.
Follow the Owls on their Canadian trip with updates on RiceOwls.com.
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in...
03/19/2017 - Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is...
Evans' Late Push Gives Rice 85-76 Victory over ...
03/15/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 12 of Rice’s final 15 points as the Owls closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat San Francisco 85-76 and advance to the...
Men’s Hoops Opens CBI against San Francisco
03/14/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Wednesday, Mar. 15. Tip-off is ...
Rice to Host San Francisco in First Round of CBI
03/12/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by FIVE FOUR this Wednesday, Mar. 15 at 7 p.m. CT,...
Rice Falls to UTEP, 86-76, in C-USA Quarterfinals
03/09/2017 - Dominic Artis scored 20 of his season-high 26 points, and UTEP scored 20 of the last 25, in the first half before holding off Rice for an 86-76 win...
Rice Defeats Southern Miss 86-75 in First Round...
03/08/2017 - Marcus Evans made five 3-pointers and scored 26 points, Marcus Jackson added 20 points, and No. 5 seed Rice beat 12th-seeded Southern Mississippi...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store