Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in Quarterfinals of CBI
Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Game Notes | CUSA.tv | Listen Live | Live Stats | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and will live-streamed by CUSA.tv.
• Rice is making its 12th appearance in postseason play and its first since the 2011-12 season.
• Rice has made four NCAA appearances, five NIT appearances and one CIT appearance.
• This is the Owls first-ever appearance in the College Basketball Invitational.
• Rice is 6-12 all-time in postseason play. Rice is 2-0 at home, 2-6 on the road and 2-5 on a neutral court.
• The Owls will be playing just its third postseason home game.
• Rice enters Monday night’s game with a 23-11 record. The Owls have won 10 of their last 13 games after defeating San Francisco in the first round, 85-76, last Wednesday.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans is third in the conference in scoring, averaging 19.2 points per game. He is also third in three-point field goals made per game (2.5) and seventh in assists (3.7).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.3 points, good for fifth-place in C-USA. He leads the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 47.3% from beyond the arc. The Volgograd, Russia native is also second in the league in rebounding (9.0), third in free throw percentage (.817) and seventh in three-point field goals made per game (2.3) and minutes played (34.4).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 12.2 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists and sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 7.8 points and is second on the team with 5.3 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 81.6 points per game while allowing 75.4.
• Rice is connecting on 46.2% from the floor while leading the league in three-point field goal percentage (39.0%). It is allowing 43.7% from the floor and 32.6% from three.
• Rice is outrebounding its opponents by an average of 3.6 boards per game, 38.2-to-34.6.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.4 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 47-51 (.480) record on South Main and a 244-127 (.658) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Utah Valley
• Utah Valley enters Monday night’s contest with a 16-16 record. The Wolverines were 6-8 in the Western Athletic Conference but have won five of their last six after defeating Georgia Southern, 74-49, in the first round of the CBI last Wednesday.
• Sophomore guard Conner Toolson is leading the team in scoring with 11.8 points per game while averaging 3.9 rebounds.
• Redshirt senior guard Jordan Poydras is second on the team in scoring with 10.7 points per game. He is also ninth in the WAC in free throw percentage, connecting on 76.3% from the charity stripe.
• Redshirt junior guard Kenneth Ogbe is averaging 10.6 points per game and is fourth in the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 40.6% from beyond the arc.
• Redshirt junior guard Brandon Randolph is scoring 10.2 points per game. He is also third in the WAC in assists (4.0), ninth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2) and 10th in rebounding.
• Redshirt junior forward Isaac Neilson is averaging 9.6 points while placing second in the conference in rebounding (9.0) and blocks (1.6) and third in field goal percentage (.561).
• Utah Valley is scoring 76.9 points per game while allowing 72.7.
• The Wolverines are connecting on 43.7% from the field and 31.8% from three while allowing 41.2% from the floor and 31.8% from three.
• UVU leads the WAC in rebounding, pulling down 39.7 boards per game while allowing 38.2.
• Utah Valley is also second in the league in assists (15.8) and three-pointers made per game (8.8).
• Head coach Mark Pope is in his second season at the helm of the Utah Valley men’s basketball program where he owns a 28-34 (.452) record.
• Rice and Utah Valley will meet for the first time ever.
• With a victory, Rice will advance to the CBI semifinals this Wednesday, Mar. 22. Opponent, time and place are still to be determined.