By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Buy Tickets | Watch Live | Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice closes the regular season on Saturday, Mar. 5, when it hosts Old Dominion. The Owls will honor Max Guercy on Senior Day. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT and will be televised on ASN.
• Rice and Old Dominion will meet for just the sixth time.
• ODU leads the series 4-1.
• Rice is looking for its first victory in Houston, having dropped the only other meeting.
• This is the second meeting of the season. Rice defeated Old Dominion, 75-66, in Norfolk on Feb. 13.
Owls to Honor Max Guercy on Senior Day
• Rice will honor lone senior Max Guercy on Senior Day.
• Guercy has started all 123 games in his career, a Rice record.
• Guercy is in second-place in school history in assists with 492. He is also tied for sixth-place with 144 steals.
• He is in third-place in school history in all-time free throw percentage, connecting on 83.7% (302-of-361) from the line throughout his career.
• With five assists against Charlotte on Mar. 3, he set the school single-season record with 171.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 12-18 record and 7-10 in Conference USA. The Owls have dropped two straight games after falling 88-75 to Charlotte on Thursday.
• Freshman Marcus Evans is second in Conference USA in scoring and 19th in the nation, averaging 21.0 points per game. He leads the league in steals (2.1) and is ninth in minutes played (33.3).
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 17.0 points while leading the team with 7.0 rebounds. He is third in C-USA in free throw percentage (.856) and three-pointers made (2.6) and fifth in minutes played (34.3).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.4 points and second with 5.1 rebounds. He is also tied for seventh in C-USA with 1.1 blocks.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 7.1 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.869), is second in assists (5.7) and eighth in minutes played (33.5).
• Rice is averaging 76.4 points per game while allowing 80.8.
• The Owls are connecting on 45.0% from the field and just 32.5% from the three-point line while allowing 48.4% from the field and 41.2% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 73.9%.
Scouting Old Dominion
• Old Dominion enters the game with an 18-12 record. The Monarchs are 11-6 in Conference USA and have won three straight after defeating North Texas, 76-70, on Thursday.
• Senior guard Trey Freeman leads Conference USA with 21.2 points. He is also third in minutes played (34.7) and 10th in free throw percentage (.804).
• Senior guard Aaron Bacote is scoring 12.3 points and is eighth in the league in free throw percentage (.808).
• Sophomore forward Brandon Stith is averaging 10.9 points and is third in C-USA in blocks (2.0), fourth in rebounding (9.6) and eighth in field goal percentage (.559).
• Old Dominion is averaging 68.0 points per game but is allowing a league-low 62.2.
• The Monarchs are connecting on 44.0% from the field and 28.0% from three while allowing 39.8% from the floor and 30.9% from three, which both lead the league.
• ODU is grabbing a conference-best 38.7 boards a game and giving up a league-low 33.4.
• Jeff Jones is in his third season at the helm of the Old Dominion basketball program, where he has a 63-38 (.624) record. In 13 seasons as a head coach, Jones is 420-324 (.565).
• Rice begins the Conference USA Tournament next Wednesday, Mar. 9, in Birmingham, Ala. Time and opponent are yet to be decided.
Rice Knocks Off Old Dominion
Rice held Old Dominion to just 34.7% shooting on its way to a 75-66 victory Saturday afternoon at the Ted Constant Convention Center.