Men's Hoops Uses Late Run to Top WKU, 83-73
Rice closed the game on a 21-3 run to rally from a 13-point second half deficit and win, 83-73, over WKU, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• Rice enters Saturday night’s game with a 21-9 record, 11-6 in Conference USA. The Owls have three straight and eight of their last nine games after defeating Marshall on Thursday, 89-88.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans is third in the conference in scoring, averaging 19.1 points per game. He is also fifth in three-point field goals made per game (2.4) and sixth in assists (4.0).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.6 points, good for fourth-place in C-USA. He is second in the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 46.0% from beyond the arc. The Volgograd, Russia native is also third in the league in rebounding (8.8), sixth in three-point field goals made per game (2.3), seventh in minutes played (34.3) and eighth in free throw percentage (.793).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 12.2 points, 2.5 assists and 2.5 rebounds and sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 7.8 points and is second on the team with 5.2 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 81.8 points per game while allowing 75.0.
• Rice is connecting on 46.5% from the floor while leading the league in three-point field goal percentage (38.5%). It is allowing 43.5% from the floor and 33.3% from three.
• Rice is outrebounding its opponents by an average of 3.9 boards per game, 38.4-to-34.5.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.2 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 45-49 (.479) record on South Main and a 242-125 (.659) record in 12 years as a head coach.
• WKU enters Saturday night’s contest with a 14-16 record, 8-9 in Conference USA. The Hilltoppers snapped a two-game losing streak on Thursday, defeating North Texas, 74-63.
• Junior forward is scoring a team-high 14.2 points while leading the league in rebounding (9.1). He is also eighth in C-USA in field goal percentage, connecting on 53.0%.
• Senior guard Pancake Thomas is scoring 14.0 points per game. He is fourth in the conference in three-pointers made (2.5), fifth in free throw percentage (.803) and sixth in three-point field goal percentage (.404) and minutes played (34.7).
• Senior guard Que Johnson is third on the team with 13.5 points.
• WKU is scoring just 69.3 points per game while allowing 72.5.
• The Hilltoppers are connecting on 44.2% from the floor and 35.7% from three. They are allowing 45.5% from the field and 36.9% from beyond the arc.
• WKU is outrebounding its opponents, 34.7-to-34.5.
• Head coach Rick Stansbury is in his first season at the helm of the Mississippi State men’s basketball program where he owns a 14-16 (.467) record. In 15 years as a head coach, he is 307-182 (.628).
• Rice and WKU will meet for just the fourth time
• Rice holds a 2-1 record in the series and has won the last two. The Owls won the only other game played in Bowling Green, a 72-68 decision in 2015.
• Last year, Rice defeated the Hilltoppers in Houston, 83-73.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades has won the previous two meetings against WKU.
• Rice will travel to Birmingham, Ala., next week for the MetroPCS Conference USA Tournament. Opponent, date and time are yet to be determined.
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in...
03/19/2017 - Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is...
Evans' Late Push Gives Rice 85-76 Victory over ...
03/15/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 12 of Rice’s final 15 points as the Owls closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat San Francisco 85-76 and advance to the...
Men’s Hoops Opens CBI against San Francisco
03/14/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Wednesday, Mar. 15. Tip-off is ...
Rice to Host San Francisco in First Round of CBI
03/12/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by FIVE FOUR this Wednesday, Mar. 15 at 7 p.m. CT,...
Rice Falls to UTEP, 86-76, in C-USA Quarterfinals
03/09/2017 - Dominic Artis scored 20 of his season-high 26 points, and UTEP scored 20 of the last 25, in the first half before holding off Rice for an 86-76 win...
Rice Defeats Southern Miss 86-75 in First Round...
03/08/2017 - Marcus Evans made five 3-pointers and scored 26 points, Marcus Jackson added 20 points, and No. 5 seed Rice beat 12th-seeded Southern Mississippi...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store