Feb. 28, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Rice University men’s basketball plays its final regular season road game on Saturday at Middle Tennessee with a quick turnaround, as the Owls hosted UAB on Thursday evening. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m. at MT’s Murphy Center.
Austin Ramljak’s next three-pointer will give the senior sole possession of the program’s single-season record. He knocked down three long-balls on Thursday night to tie Robert Johnson with 83 treys on the campaign.
Last Time Out
• Rice had to watch Chad Frazier’s final shot for UAB roll around the rim twice before dropping, giving the visiting Blazers a 61-60 win over the Owls on Thursday night.
• The game saw 17 lead changes and neither team led by more than six points in the back-and-forth contest. Rice led by three with under a minute to play before the Blazers staged their last-second rally for the win.
• Sean Obi led the Owls with 12 points and seven rebounds, while Keith Washington dished out six rebounds.
Series History (Middle Tennessee leads, 2-1)
• In the last meeting, Rice claimed a 67-62 win at home on Nov. 23, 2004.
• Jason McKrieth led the way with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Owls, while three others also tallied double-figure points.
• Brock Gillespie added 13 points while Michael Harris and J.R. Harrison added 10 each. Harris led the way with eight rebounds and swiped two of the team’s five steals.
• Rice shot 46.7 percent from the field to overcome 18 turnovers in the early-season battle.
• Mike Dean led the Blue Raiders with 20 points on 7-o-f16 shooting.
• Rice is 0-1 at Middle Tennessee after a 65-52 setback on Dec. 4, 2001.
Scouting the Blue Raiders (21-8, 11-3 C-USA)
• MT is 13-2 at home on the season with the lone setbacks coming against Belmont and UTEP.
• The Blue Raiders saw their nine-game winning streak snapped on Thursday night by Louisiana Tech, 55-39.
• Shawn Jones leads the team with 14.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. The team holds opponents to 63.8 points on average.
• Neiko Hunter (13.2) and Kerry Hammonds (21.4) also score in double figures.
Rice returns home for the regular season finale on Thursday, March 6 against Louisiana Tech. The Owls will honor seniors Ramljak and Bahrom Firozgary prior to the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Men’s Basketball Closes Homestand with...
01/13/2017 - Rice looks to get back on track this Saturday, Jan. 14, when it hosts North Texas. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
Mike Rhoades Radio Show Begins Tonight at the...
01/09/2017 - The third season of the Mike Rhoades Radio Show debuts tonight at 7 p.m. from the Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar (5555 Morningside Drive).
Evans' Record Setting Day Not Enough as Rice...
01/07/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 23 points to reach 1,000 career points, but it was not enough as Rice fell in overtime to UAB, 88-81.
Men’s Basketball Continues Homestand with...
01/06/2017 - Rice looks to get back on track this Saturday, Jan. 7, when it hosts UAB. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
Rice Drops Heartbreaker to Middle Tennessee, 80-77
01/05/2017 - Rice battled back from a 13-point second half deficit to tie the game, but in the end it was not enough, as the Owls fell 80-77 to Middle Tennessee...
Men's Basketball Opens C-USA Home Slate against...
01/04/2017 - Rice begins its home conference schedule this Thursday, Jan. 5, when it hosts Middle Tennessee. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be broadcast ...
Rice Downs Charlotte, 89-70
01/02/2017 - Rice placed five players in double-figures on its way to an 89-70 win at Charlotte to pick up its first conference win of the season.
Men’s Basketball Begins 2017 at Charlotte
01/01/2017 - Rice closes its conference opening road trip this Monday, Jan. 2, when it travels to Charlotte, N.C., to face Charlotte. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store