Feb. 28, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Rice University men’s basketball plays its final regular season road game on Saturday at Middle Tennessee with a quick turnaround, as the Owls hosted UAB on Thursday evening. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m. at MT’s Murphy Center.
Austin Ramljak’s next three-pointer will give the senior sole possession of the program’s single-season record. He knocked down three long-balls on Thursday night to tie Robert Johnson with 83 treys on the campaign.
Last Time Out
• Rice had to watch Chad Frazier’s final shot for UAB roll around the rim twice before dropping, giving the visiting Blazers a 61-60 win over the Owls on Thursday night.
• The game saw 17 lead changes and neither team led by more than six points in the back-and-forth contest. Rice led by three with under a minute to play before the Blazers staged their last-second rally for the win.
• Sean Obi led the Owls with 12 points and seven rebounds, while Keith Washington dished out six rebounds.
Series History (Middle Tennessee leads, 2-1)
• In the last meeting, Rice claimed a 67-62 win at home on Nov. 23, 2004.
• Jason McKrieth led the way with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Owls, while three others also tallied double-figure points.
• Brock Gillespie added 13 points while Michael Harris and J.R. Harrison added 10 each. Harris led the way with eight rebounds and swiped two of the team’s five steals.
• Rice shot 46.7 percent from the field to overcome 18 turnovers in the early-season battle.
• Mike Dean led the Blue Raiders with 20 points on 7-o-f16 shooting.
• Rice is 0-1 at Middle Tennessee after a 65-52 setback on Dec. 4, 2001.
Scouting the Blue Raiders (21-8, 11-3 C-USA)
• MT is 13-2 at home on the season with the lone setbacks coming against Belmont and UTEP.
• The Blue Raiders saw their nine-game winning streak snapped on Thursday night by Louisiana Tech, 55-39.
• Shawn Jones leads the team with 14.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. The team holds opponents to 63.8 points on average.
• Neiko Hunter (13.2) and Kerry Hammonds (21.4) also score in double figures.
Rice returns home for the regular season finale on Thursday, March 6 against Louisiana Tech. The Owls will honor seniors Ramljak and Bahrom Firozgary prior to the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Rice Earns First Win of the Season with 92-84...
11/25/2015 - Rice placed six players in double-figures on its way to picking up its first win of the season, 92-84 over Lamar, Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men's Basketball Closes Roundball Showcase...
11/24/2015 - Rice finishes out the Roundball Showcase this Wednesday, Nov. 25, when it hosts Lamar. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Fresno State Pulls Away from Rice, 82-65
11/22/2015 - For the second straight game ,Rice started out hot, but could not keep it going, as Fresno State snapped a five-game losing streak to the Owls, 82-...
Men's Hoops Hosts Fresno State in Roundball...
11/21/2015 - Rice continues its five-game homestand this Sunday, Nov. 22, when it hosts Fresno State in the second game of the Roundball Showcase. Tip-off is...
Comeback Falls Short as Rice Drops Home Opener ...
11/20/2015 - Rice made a valiant comeback attempt, but ultimately, it fell short, as the Owls dropped its home opener, 77-69, to Oregon State Thursday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Begins Five-Game Homestand...
11/18/2015 - Rice begins a five-game homestand this Thursday, Nov. 19, when it hosts Oregon State. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and will televised by ASN.
San Francisco Controls Owls
11/17/2015 - Rice got down early and could not catch up, falling 80-54, to San Francisco Monday night at War Memorial Gymnasium.
Men’s Basketball Closes Opening Road Trip...
11/15/2015 - Rice closes its opening road trip this Monday, Nov. 16, when it faces San Francisco. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. CT and will be live streamed...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store