Feb. 28, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Rice University men’s basketball plays its final regular season road game on Saturday at Middle Tennessee with a quick turnaround, as the Owls hosted UAB on Thursday evening. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m. at MT’s Murphy Center.
Austin Ramljak’s next three-pointer will give the senior sole possession of the program’s single-season record. He knocked down three long-balls on Thursday night to tie Robert Johnson with 83 treys on the campaign.
Last Time Out
• Rice had to watch Chad Frazier’s final shot for UAB roll around the rim twice before dropping, giving the visiting Blazers a 61-60 win over the Owls on Thursday night.
• The game saw 17 lead changes and neither team led by more than six points in the back-and-forth contest. Rice led by three with under a minute to play before the Blazers staged their last-second rally for the win.
• Sean Obi led the Owls with 12 points and seven rebounds, while Keith Washington dished out six rebounds.
Series History (Middle Tennessee leads, 2-1)
• In the last meeting, Rice claimed a 67-62 win at home on Nov. 23, 2004.
• Jason McKrieth led the way with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Owls, while three others also tallied double-figure points.
• Brock Gillespie added 13 points while Michael Harris and J.R. Harrison added 10 each. Harris led the way with eight rebounds and swiped two of the team’s five steals.
• Rice shot 46.7 percent from the field to overcome 18 turnovers in the early-season battle.
• Mike Dean led the Blue Raiders with 20 points on 7-o-f16 shooting.
• Rice is 0-1 at Middle Tennessee after a 65-52 setback on Dec. 4, 2001.
Scouting the Blue Raiders (21-8, 11-3 C-USA)
• MT is 13-2 at home on the season with the lone setbacks coming against Belmont and UTEP.
• The Blue Raiders saw their nine-game winning streak snapped on Thursday night by Louisiana Tech, 55-39.
• Shawn Jones leads the team with 14.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. The team holds opponents to 63.8 points on average.
• Neiko Hunter (13.2) and Kerry Hammonds (21.4) also score in double figures.
Rice returns home for the regular season finale on Thursday, March 6 against Louisiana Tech. The Owls will honor seniors Ramljak and Bahrom Firozgary prior to the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Men’s Hoops Releases 2016-17 Schedule
07/13/2016 - 17 home games highlight the 2016-17 Rice Men’s Basketball schedule, announced Wednesday afternoon by Rice Head Coach Mike Rhoades.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/12/2016 - For the ninth time in the past 11 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2015-16 by...
Bonner Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
07/11/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Rhett Bonner to the coaching staff as Director of Operations. Bonner joins the Owls...
Brown Named Men's Basketball Strength Coach
06/30/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Donald Brown as the Men's Basketball Strength and Conditioning Coach.
Rodriguez Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
06/29/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Joey Rodriguez to the coaching staff as video coordinator. Rodriguez joins the Owls...
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition
06/13/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition - Week 1
05/24/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Scott Added to Men's Basketball Coaching Staff
05/16/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of former Owl standout Brent Scott to the coaching staff as assistant coach. Scott joins...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store