Feb. 28, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Rice University men’s basketball plays its final regular season road game on Saturday at Middle Tennessee with a quick turnaround, as the Owls hosted UAB on Thursday evening. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m. at MT’s Murphy Center.
Austin Ramljak’s next three-pointer will give the senior sole possession of the program’s single-season record. He knocked down three long-balls on Thursday night to tie Robert Johnson with 83 treys on the campaign.
Last Time Out
• Rice had to watch Chad Frazier’s final shot for UAB roll around the rim twice before dropping, giving the visiting Blazers a 61-60 win over the Owls on Thursday night.
• The game saw 17 lead changes and neither team led by more than six points in the back-and-forth contest. Rice led by three with under a minute to play before the Blazers staged their last-second rally for the win.
• Sean Obi led the Owls with 12 points and seven rebounds, while Keith Washington dished out six rebounds.
Series History (Middle Tennessee leads, 2-1)
• In the last meeting, Rice claimed a 67-62 win at home on Nov. 23, 2004.
• Jason McKrieth led the way with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Owls, while three others also tallied double-figure points.
• Brock Gillespie added 13 points while Michael Harris and J.R. Harrison added 10 each. Harris led the way with eight rebounds and swiped two of the team’s five steals.
• Rice shot 46.7 percent from the field to overcome 18 turnovers in the early-season battle.
• Mike Dean led the Blue Raiders with 20 points on 7-o-f16 shooting.
• Rice is 0-1 at Middle Tennessee after a 65-52 setback on Dec. 4, 2001.
Scouting the Blue Raiders (21-8, 11-3 C-USA)
• MT is 13-2 at home on the season with the lone setbacks coming against Belmont and UTEP.
• The Blue Raiders saw their nine-game winning streak snapped on Thursday night by Louisiana Tech, 55-39.
• Shawn Jones leads the team with 14.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. The team holds opponents to 63.8 points on average.
• Neiko Hunter (13.2) and Kerry Hammonds (21.4) also score in double figures.
Rice returns home for the regular season finale on Thursday, March 6 against Louisiana Tech. The Owls will honor seniors Ramljak and Bahrom Firozgary prior to the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Men's Hoops Begins C-USA Tournament against...
03/08/2016 - No. 10 seed Rice opens the Conference USA Tournament on Wednesday, March 9, against seventh-seeded Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT...
Marcus Evans Named Conference USA Freshman of...
03/08/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year, the conference office announced Tuesday morning.
Marcus Evans Earns Sixth Straight Freshman of...
03/07/2016 - For the sixth straight week and the 10th time this season, Marcus Evans was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media,...
Evans Named First Team All-Conference USA
03/07/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named First Team All-Conference USA, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Rice to Face Charlotte at C-USA Tournament
03/05/2016 - Rice will be the 10th seed in next week’s Conference USA Tournament, to be played in Birmingham, Ala., Conference USA announced Saturday...
Comeback Comes up Short as Rice Drops Regular...
03/05/2016 - Rice cut a 17-point second half deficit to three-points, but two turnovers in the final minute and a half proved costly as the Owls fell, 74-67 on ...
Men’s Hoops Closes Regular Season with...
03/04/2016 - Rice closes the regular season on Saturday, Mar. 5, when it hosts Old Dominion. The Owls will honor Max Guercy on Senior Day. Tip-off is scheduled ...
Rice Falls to Charlotte, 88-75
03/03/2016 - Rice battled back from an early deficit but it was not enough, as the Owls fell 88-75 to Charlotte Thursday night from Tudor Fieldhouse.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store