Feb. 28, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Rice University men’s basketball plays its final regular season road game on Saturday at Middle Tennessee with a quick turnaround, as the Owls hosted UAB on Thursday evening. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m. at MT’s Murphy Center.
Austin Ramljak’s next three-pointer will give the senior sole possession of the program’s single-season record. He knocked down three long-balls on Thursday night to tie Robert Johnson with 83 treys on the campaign.
Last Time Out
• Rice had to watch Chad Frazier’s final shot for UAB roll around the rim twice before dropping, giving the visiting Blazers a 61-60 win over the Owls on Thursday night.
• The game saw 17 lead changes and neither team led by more than six points in the back-and-forth contest. Rice led by three with under a minute to play before the Blazers staged their last-second rally for the win.
• Sean Obi led the Owls with 12 points and seven rebounds, while Keith Washington dished out six rebounds.
Series History (Middle Tennessee leads, 2-1)
• In the last meeting, Rice claimed a 67-62 win at home on Nov. 23, 2004.
• Jason McKrieth led the way with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Owls, while three others also tallied double-figure points.
• Brock Gillespie added 13 points while Michael Harris and J.R. Harrison added 10 each. Harris led the way with eight rebounds and swiped two of the team’s five steals.
• Rice shot 46.7 percent from the field to overcome 18 turnovers in the early-season battle.
• Mike Dean led the Blue Raiders with 20 points on 7-o-f16 shooting.
• Rice is 0-1 at Middle Tennessee after a 65-52 setback on Dec. 4, 2001.
Scouting the Blue Raiders (21-8, 11-3 C-USA)
• MT is 13-2 at home on the season with the lone setbacks coming against Belmont and UTEP.
• The Blue Raiders saw their nine-game winning streak snapped on Thursday night by Louisiana Tech, 55-39.
• Shawn Jones leads the team with 14.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game. The team holds opponents to 63.8 points on average.
• Neiko Hunter (13.2) and Kerry Hammonds (21.4) also score in double figures.
Rice returns home for the regular season finale on Thursday, March 6 against Louisiana Tech. The Owls will honor seniors Ramljak and Bahrom Firozgary prior to the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Kreider Joins Men’s Basketball Staff
04/07/2017 - Rice head basketball coach Scott Pera announced the addition of Chris Kreider as assistant coach Friday morning. Kreider comes to Rice following...
Green Joins Men’s Basketball Staff
04/04/2017 - Rice head basketball coach Scott Pera announced the addition of former Owl Van Green as video coordinator Tuesday afternoon. Green returns to South...
Linebaugh Joins Men’s Basketball Staff
03/30/2017 - Rice head basketball coach Scott Pera announced the addition of Mark Linebaugh to his staff Thursday afternoon. Linebaugh comes to Rice following...
Scott Pera Introduced Saturday Morning
03/25/2017 - Rice head coach Scott Pera was officially introduced to the public Saturday morning.
Scott Pera to Be Introduced this Saturday
03/24/2017 - New men’s basketball coach Scott Pera will be formally introduced Saturday at 11 a.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Evans, Koulechov Named NABC All-District 11
03/22/2017 - Sophomore Marcus Evans and junior Egor Koulechov were named to the National Basketball Coaches Association (NABC) All-District 11 team, the...
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store