By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice will try for its fourth straight win when it begins its final road trip this Thursday, February 25. The Owls head to Hattiesburg, Miss., to face Southern Miss at 7 p.m. CT.
Strong Second Half Propels Rice to Victory over Southern Miss
Rice made its first eight shots of the second half to turn a one-point halftime deficit into a 72-65 victory over Southern Miss, Saturday night at Tudor Fieldhouse
• Rice and Southern Miss will meet for 15th time overall and the 13th time as conference members.
• The Golden Eagles hold an 8-6 record in the series.
• In Hattiesburg, Southern Miss leads 5-1. Rice is looking for its first win in Hattiesburg since 2006.
• The Owls are going for the season sweep over USM, having defeated the Golden Eagles, 72-65, in Houston on Feb. 6.
• Rice enters today’s game with an 11-16 record and is 6-8 in Conference USA. The Owls have won three straight and four of their last five after defeating FIU, 86-70, last Saturday.
• Freshman Marcus Evans is third in Conference USA in scoring and 21st in the nation, averaging 20.5 points per game. He leads the league in steals (2.1) and is ninth in minutes played (32.9).
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 17.0 points while leading the team with 7.1 rebounds, which is tied for ninth in the league. He is second in C-USA in free throw percentage (.860), third in three-pointers made (2.6) and fifth in minutes played (34.1).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.3 points and second with 5.1 rebounds. He is also ninth in C-USA with 1.0 blocks.
• Freshman Connor Cashaw is averaging 8.7 points and is eighth in the conference in three-point field goal percentage (.404).
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 7.7 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.869), is second in assists (5.7) and sixth in minutes played (33.7).
• Rice is averaging 76.7 points per game while allowing 80.5.
• The Owls are connecting on 44.8% from the field and just 32.7% from the three-point line while allowing 48.5% from the field and 41.5% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 74.1%.
Scouting Southern Miss
• Southern Miss enters the game with a 7-18 record. The Golden Eagles are 4-10 in Conference USA and have lost six straight after falling 74-53 at UTSA last Saturday.
• Senior guard Kourtlin Jackson leads the team with 12.3 points and 4.5 rebounds.
• Junior guard Khari Price is scoring 10.3 points. He is third in the league in free throw percentage (.855) and sixth in assists (4.3).
• Southern Miss is averaging just 61.8 points per game while allowing 68.6.
• The Golden Eagles are connecting on just 39.9% from the field and 34.3% from three while allowing 42.7% from the floor and 35.8% from three.
• USM is second in the league in three-pointers made per game (8.3).
• Doc Sadler is in his second season at the helm of the Southern Miss basketball program, where he has a 16-38 (.296) record. In 10 years as a head coach, he is 165-145 (.532).
• Rice plays its final road game of the year this Saturday, Feb. 27, when it travels to Ruston, La., to face Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT.