By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Buy Tickets | Watch Live | Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice will go for its third straight win this Saturday, February 20, when it hosts FIU. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT and will be televised by ASN.
Late Three-Pointers Doom Men's Basketball
Rice University men's basketball erased a 10-point deficit to take a four-point lead over FIU with two minutes remaining in the game as the squad looked for its fourth-straight win in Conference USA play. However, the Panthers' Ray Rodriguez responded with a pair of three-pointers to give the lead back to the home team for good as the Owls suffered a 60-56 setback on Thursday evening at FIU Arena.
• Rice and FIU will meet for just the third time.
• Rice is looking for its first victory over the Panthers as FIU won the previous two meetings
• Rice enters today’s game with a 10-16 record and is 5-8 in Conference USA. The Owls have won two straight and three of their last four after defeating Florida Atlantic, 90-85, on Thursday.
• Freshman Marcus Evans is third in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 20.1 points per game. He leads the league in steals (2.0) and is tied for seventh in minutes played (32.9).
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 16.8 points while leading the team with 7.0 rebounds. He is second in C-USA in free throw percentage (.860), third in three-pointers made (2.6) and fifth in minutes played (34.0).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.2 points and second with 5.2 rebounds. He is also eighth in C-USA with 1.1 blocks.
• Freshman Connor Cashaw is averaging 8.5 points and is tied for fifth in the conference in three-point field goal percentage (.413).
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 7.9 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.869), is second in assists (5.7) and sixth in minutes played (33.7).
• Rice is averaging 76.3 points per game while allowing 80.9.
• The Owls are connecting on 44.5% from the field and just 32.6% from the three-point line while allowing 48.6% from the field and 41.2% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 74.5%.
• FIU enters the game with a 12-15 record. The Panthers are 6-8 in Conference USA and have lost six of seven games after falling at North Texas, 77-75, on Thursday.
• Junior guard Donte McGill is eighth in C-USA with 16.0 points. He is also second in three-point field goal percentage (.433) and 10th in free throw percentage (.798).
• Senior center Adrian Diaz is 10th in the league with 15.8 points. He leads the league in field goal percentage (.671) and is second in blocks per game (3.1). Both rank third in the country (as of Feb. 18). He is also seventh in C-USA with 7.7 rebounds per game.
• Senior forward Daviyon Draper is averaging 15.5 points. He leads the conference in minutes played (35.0) and is 10th in rebounds (7.1).
• FIU is averaging 71.9 points per game and is allowing 69.3.
• The Panthers are connecting on 47.7% from the field, good for second in C-USA, and 36.3% from three while allowing just 40.0% from the floor and 31.8% from three.
• FIU is second in Conference USA in blocks per game with 4.9.
• Anthony Evans is in his third season at the helm of the FIU basketball program, where he has a 43-48 (.473) record. In nine seasons as a head coach, he is 142-142 (.500).
• Rice begins its final road trip of the year next Thursday, Feb. 25, when it travels to Hattiesburg, Miss., to face Southern Miss. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.