Feb. 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. – Rice University men’s basketball continues its three-game road trip on Thursday with a trip to the east coast to face new Conference USA member Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
It is the second of three-straight games away from Tudor Fieldhouse for the Owls (7-17, 2-9 C-USA) as the team makes its lone east-coast swing of the regular season.
Austin Ramljak leads the Owls with 11.9 points per game and has moved into sixth on the program’s single-season three-pointer list with 73. He surpassed last season’s total of 73 long-balls on Saturday and ranks among the league leaders in treys and three-point percentage. He paced the Owls in both scoring and rebounding at Louisiana Tech in the last outing.
Last Time Out
• Rice had trouble finding an answer to Louisiana Tech’s pressure defense last Saturday night in an 85-46 setback.
• The Owls will be happy to get back out on the court to erase memories from the season-high 23 turnovers in the first of two meetings with the Bulldogs.
• Rice shot 5-of-10 on three-pointers in the second half and improved its overall shooting to 40 percent in the frame, but it wasn’t enough to keep up Louisiana Tech’s 48.3 field goal clip in the game and 8-of-25 mark from downtown.
Ramljak led the team with nine points and six rebounds in the game, while Max Guercy also tallied nine points.
Series History (ODU leads, 1-0)
• This marks just the second meeting for the new Conference USA mates, as ODU claimed a 114-86 win in the 1970-71 season at the Norfolk Scope Arena.
• Rice last traveled to the Commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2009 for a contest against Richmond.
Scouting the Monarchs (12-14, 6-5 C-USA)
• Old Dominion is 7-5 at home this season, with a 2-2 mark in league games at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
• Aaron Bacote leads the team with 16.0 points and 2.96 assists per game.
• Two other players score in double figures for the Monarchs, including Dimitri Batten and Keenan Palmore.
• In its last outing, ODU fell at Tulsa, 76-37, on Saturday. Richard Ross and Ambrose Mosley combined for 23 of the team’s points.
• Old Dominion shoots 41.8 percent from the field and 31.7 percent from downtown. Head coach Jeff Jones’ squad owns a narrow 35.9-to-24.0 rebound edge over its opponents.
Men's Hoops Begins C-USA Tournament against...
03/08/2016 - No. 10 seed Rice opens the Conference USA Tournament on Wednesday, March 9, against seventh-seeded Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT...
Marcus Evans Named Conference USA Freshman of...
03/08/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year, the conference office announced Tuesday morning.
Marcus Evans Earns Sixth Straight Freshman of...
03/07/2016 - For the sixth straight week and the 10th time this season, Marcus Evans was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media,...
Evans Named First Team All-Conference USA
03/07/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named First Team All-Conference USA, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Rice to Face Charlotte at C-USA Tournament
03/05/2016 - Rice will be the 10th seed in next week’s Conference USA Tournament, to be played in Birmingham, Ala., Conference USA announced Saturday...
Comeback Comes up Short as Rice Drops Regular...
03/05/2016 - Rice cut a 17-point second half deficit to three-points, but two turnovers in the final minute and a half proved costly as the Owls fell, 74-67 on ...
Men’s Hoops Closes Regular Season with...
03/04/2016 - Rice closes the regular season on Saturday, Mar. 5, when it hosts Old Dominion. The Owls will honor Max Guercy on Senior Day. Tip-off is scheduled ...
Rice Falls to Charlotte, 88-75
03/03/2016 - Rice battled back from an early deficit but it was not enough, as the Owls fell 88-75 to Charlotte Thursday night from Tudor Fieldhouse.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store