Feb. 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. – Rice University men’s basketball continues its three-game road trip on Thursday with a trip to the east coast to face new Conference USA member Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
It is the second of three-straight games away from Tudor Fieldhouse for the Owls (7-17, 2-9 C-USA) as the team makes its lone east-coast swing of the regular season.
Austin Ramljak leads the Owls with 11.9 points per game and has moved into sixth on the program’s single-season three-pointer list with 73. He surpassed last season’s total of 73 long-balls on Saturday and ranks among the league leaders in treys and three-point percentage. He paced the Owls in both scoring and rebounding at Louisiana Tech in the last outing.
Last Time Out
• Rice had trouble finding an answer to Louisiana Tech’s pressure defense last Saturday night in an 85-46 setback.
• The Owls will be happy to get back out on the court to erase memories from the season-high 23 turnovers in the first of two meetings with the Bulldogs.
• Rice shot 5-of-10 on three-pointers in the second half and improved its overall shooting to 40 percent in the frame, but it wasn’t enough to keep up Louisiana Tech’s 48.3 field goal clip in the game and 8-of-25 mark from downtown.
Ramljak led the team with nine points and six rebounds in the game, while Max Guercy also tallied nine points.
Series History (ODU leads, 1-0)
• This marks just the second meeting for the new Conference USA mates, as ODU claimed a 114-86 win in the 1970-71 season at the Norfolk Scope Arena.
• Rice last traveled to the Commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2009 for a contest against Richmond.
Scouting the Monarchs (12-14, 6-5 C-USA)
• Old Dominion is 7-5 at home this season, with a 2-2 mark in league games at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
• Aaron Bacote leads the team with 16.0 points and 2.96 assists per game.
• Two other players score in double figures for the Monarchs, including Dimitri Batten and Keenan Palmore.
• In its last outing, ODU fell at Tulsa, 76-37, on Saturday. Richard Ross and Ambrose Mosley combined for 23 of the team’s points.
• Old Dominion shoots 41.8 percent from the field and 31.7 percent from downtown. Head coach Jeff Jones’ squad owns a narrow 35.9-to-24.0 rebound edge over its opponents.
Men’s Hoops Releases 2016-17 Schedule
07/13/2016 - 17 home games highlight the 2016-17 Rice Men’s Basketball schedule, announced Wednesday afternoon by Rice Head Coach Mike Rhoades.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/12/2016 - For the ninth time in the past 11 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2015-16 by...
Bonner Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
07/11/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Rhett Bonner to the coaching staff as Director of Operations. Bonner joins the Owls...
Brown Named Men's Basketball Strength Coach
06/30/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Donald Brown as the Men's Basketball Strength and Conditioning Coach.
Rodriguez Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
06/29/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Joey Rodriguez to the coaching staff as video coordinator. Rodriguez joins the Owls...
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition
06/13/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition - Week 1
05/24/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Scott Added to Men's Basketball Coaching Staff
05/16/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of former Owl standout Brent Scott to the coaching staff as assistant coach. Scott joins...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store