Feb. 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. – Rice University men’s basketball continues its three-game road trip on Thursday with a trip to the east coast to face new Conference USA member Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
It is the second of three-straight games away from Tudor Fieldhouse for the Owls (7-17, 2-9 C-USA) as the team makes its lone east-coast swing of the regular season.
Austin Ramljak leads the Owls with 11.9 points per game and has moved into sixth on the program’s single-season three-pointer list with 73. He surpassed last season’s total of 73 long-balls on Saturday and ranks among the league leaders in treys and three-point percentage. He paced the Owls in both scoring and rebounding at Louisiana Tech in the last outing.
Last Time Out
• Rice had trouble finding an answer to Louisiana Tech’s pressure defense last Saturday night in an 85-46 setback.
• The Owls will be happy to get back out on the court to erase memories from the season-high 23 turnovers in the first of two meetings with the Bulldogs.
• Rice shot 5-of-10 on three-pointers in the second half and improved its overall shooting to 40 percent in the frame, but it wasn’t enough to keep up Louisiana Tech’s 48.3 field goal clip in the game and 8-of-25 mark from downtown.
Ramljak led the team with nine points and six rebounds in the game, while Max Guercy also tallied nine points.
Series History (ODU leads, 1-0)
• This marks just the second meeting for the new Conference USA mates, as ODU claimed a 114-86 win in the 1970-71 season at the Norfolk Scope Arena.
• Rice last traveled to the Commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2009 for a contest against Richmond.
Scouting the Monarchs (12-14, 6-5 C-USA)
• Old Dominion is 7-5 at home this season, with a 2-2 mark in league games at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
• Aaron Bacote leads the team with 16.0 points and 2.96 assists per game.
• Two other players score in double figures for the Monarchs, including Dimitri Batten and Keenan Palmore.
• In its last outing, ODU fell at Tulsa, 76-37, on Saturday. Richard Ross and Ambrose Mosley combined for 23 of the team’s points.
• Old Dominion shoots 41.8 percent from the field and 31.7 percent from downtown. Head coach Jeff Jones’ squad owns a narrow 35.9-to-24.0 rebound edge over its opponents.
Comeback Falls Short as Rice Drops Home Opener ...
11/20/2015 - Rice made a valiant comeback attempt, but ultimately, it fell short, as the Owls dropped its home opener, 77-69, to Oregon State Thursday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Begins Five-Game Homestand...
11/18/2015 - Rice begins a five-game homestand this Thursday, Nov. 19, when it hosts Oregon State. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and will televised by ASN.
San Francisco Controls Owls
11/17/2015 - Rice got down early and could not catch up, falling 80-54, to San Francisco Monday night at War Memorial Gymnasium.
Men’s Basketball Closes Opening Road Trip...
11/15/2015 - Rice closes its opening road trip this Monday, Nov. 16, when it faces San Francisco. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. CT and will be live streamed...
Rice Falls at No. 14 Cal in Season Opener
11/14/2015 - Rice dropped its second straight season opener, 97-65, at 14th-ranked California, Friday night in front of 10,530 at Haas Pavilion.
Men’s Basketball Opens 2015-16 Season at ...
11/12/2015 - Rice opens the 2015-16 campaign when it travels to Berkeley, Calif., to face 14th-ranked Cal on Friday, Nov. 13, at 10:30 p.m. CT. The game will be...
Men’s Basketball Signs High School Duo
11/11/2015 - Rice men’s basketball coach Mike Rhoades has announced the signing of Tim Harrison (San Diego, Calif.) and Ako Adams (Arlington, Va.) to...
Men's Basketball Rolls LeTourneau, 102-78
11/07/2015 - Rice came out shooting and never looked back, rolling in its only exhibition action, 102-78, over LeTourneau, Friday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store