Feb. 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. – Rice University men’s basketball continues its three-game road trip on Thursday with a trip to the east coast to face new Conference USA member Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
It is the second of three-straight games away from Tudor Fieldhouse for the Owls (7-17, 2-9 C-USA) as the team makes its lone east-coast swing of the regular season.
Austin Ramljak leads the Owls with 11.9 points per game and has moved into sixth on the program’s single-season three-pointer list with 73. He surpassed last season’s total of 73 long-balls on Saturday and ranks among the league leaders in treys and three-point percentage. He paced the Owls in both scoring and rebounding at Louisiana Tech in the last outing.
Last Time Out
• Rice had trouble finding an answer to Louisiana Tech’s pressure defense last Saturday night in an 85-46 setback.
• The Owls will be happy to get back out on the court to erase memories from the season-high 23 turnovers in the first of two meetings with the Bulldogs.
• Rice shot 5-of-10 on three-pointers in the second half and improved its overall shooting to 40 percent in the frame, but it wasn’t enough to keep up Louisiana Tech’s 48.3 field goal clip in the game and 8-of-25 mark from downtown.
Ramljak led the team with nine points and six rebounds in the game, while Max Guercy also tallied nine points.
Series History (ODU leads, 1-0)
• This marks just the second meeting for the new Conference USA mates, as ODU claimed a 114-86 win in the 1970-71 season at the Norfolk Scope Arena.
• Rice last traveled to the Commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2009 for a contest against Richmond.
Scouting the Monarchs (12-14, 6-5 C-USA)
• Old Dominion is 7-5 at home this season, with a 2-2 mark in league games at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
• Aaron Bacote leads the team with 16.0 points and 2.96 assists per game.
• Two other players score in double figures for the Monarchs, including Dimitri Batten and Keenan Palmore.
• In its last outing, ODU fell at Tulsa, 76-37, on Saturday. Richard Ross and Ambrose Mosley combined for 23 of the team’s points.
• Old Dominion shoots 41.8 percent from the field and 31.7 percent from downtown. Head coach Jeff Jones’ squad owns a narrow 35.9-to-24.0 rebound edge over its opponents.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/10/2015 - For the eighth time in the past 10 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2014-15 by...
Four Owls Earn C-USA Scholar-Athlete Award
07/09/2015 - Seth Gearhart, Evan Karakolis, Belle MacFarlane and Brian Nordstrom have all been named recipients of the 2014-15 Conference USA Scholar Athlete of...
Rice Announces 2015 Hall of Fame Class
06/30/2015 - Richard and William Barker, Bubba Crosby, Jarett Dillard, Funmilayo Jimoh, Holly Jones-Wright, Lauren Shockley and Brent Scott will be inducted as ...
Men's Basketball Adds Lott for Fall 2015
05/19/2015 - Rice University head men's basketball coach Mike Rhoades announced the signing of a fifth freshman for the incoming class in Chad Lott (Shreveport,...
Men's Basketball Signs Smith for 2015
04/30/2015 - Rice University head men's basketball coach Mike Rhoades announced the signing of Amir Smith (Missouri City, Texas/Ridge Point HS) to a National...
Gearhart Named a C-USA Spirit of Service Award ...
04/08/2015 - Men's basketball senior Seth Gearhart has been named Rice's Conference USA Spirit of Service Award winner for winter sports, the league office...
Comeback Falls Just Short to Top Seed LA Tech...
03/13/2015 - One night after putting together a complete game in the Conference USA Championship opener, Rice University men's basketball gave top seed...
Men's Basketball Dominates North Texas in C-USA...
03/11/2015 - Marcus Jackson scored 28 points to lead No. 9 Rice University men's basketball past eight-seed North Texas, 82-54, in the opening round of the...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store