Feb. 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. – Rice University men’s basketball continues its three-game road trip on Thursday with a trip to the east coast to face new Conference USA member Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
It is the second of three-straight games away from Tudor Fieldhouse for the Owls (7-17, 2-9 C-USA) as the team makes its lone east-coast swing of the regular season.
Austin Ramljak leads the Owls with 11.9 points per game and has moved into sixth on the program’s single-season three-pointer list with 73. He surpassed last season’s total of 73 long-balls on Saturday and ranks among the league leaders in treys and three-point percentage. He paced the Owls in both scoring and rebounding at Louisiana Tech in the last outing.
Last Time Out
• Rice had trouble finding an answer to Louisiana Tech’s pressure defense last Saturday night in an 85-46 setback.
• The Owls will be happy to get back out on the court to erase memories from the season-high 23 turnovers in the first of two meetings with the Bulldogs.
• Rice shot 5-of-10 on three-pointers in the second half and improved its overall shooting to 40 percent in the frame, but it wasn’t enough to keep up Louisiana Tech’s 48.3 field goal clip in the game and 8-of-25 mark from downtown.
Ramljak led the team with nine points and six rebounds in the game, while Max Guercy also tallied nine points.
Series History (ODU leads, 1-0)
• This marks just the second meeting for the new Conference USA mates, as ODU claimed a 114-86 win in the 1970-71 season at the Norfolk Scope Arena.
• Rice last traveled to the Commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2009 for a contest against Richmond.
Scouting the Monarchs (12-14, 6-5 C-USA)
• Old Dominion is 7-5 at home this season, with a 2-2 mark in league games at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
• Aaron Bacote leads the team with 16.0 points and 2.96 assists per game.
• Two other players score in double figures for the Monarchs, including Dimitri Batten and Keenan Palmore.
• In its last outing, ODU fell at Tulsa, 76-37, on Saturday. Richard Ross and Ambrose Mosley combined for 23 of the team’s points.
• Old Dominion shoots 41.8 percent from the field and 31.7 percent from downtown. Head coach Jeff Jones’ squad owns a narrow 35.9-to-24.0 rebound edge over its opponents.
Late Spurt Gives Men's Basketball 80-68 Victory...
02/16/2017 - Rice closed the game on a 15-3 run over the final 4:24 to defeat UTSA, 80-68 and earn its fifth straight victory, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men's Hoops Begins Final Homestand against UTSA
02/15/2017 - Rice begins its final homestand of the year this Thursday, Feb. 16, when it hosts UTSA. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
Marcus Evans Earns A Pair of Player of the Week...
02/13/2017 - Sophomore guard Marcus Evans was named the Conference USA Player of the Week by both C-USA and College Sports Madness, announced Monday afternoon.
Mike Rhoades Radio Show Continues Tonight from ...
02/13/2017 - The Mike Rhoades Radio Show continues tonight at 7 p.m. from the Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar (5555 Morningside Drive).
A Class Effort
Rice Rallies to Defeat Florida Atlantic in...
02/11/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 28 points and the go-ahead basket while Marquez Letcher-Ellis made four-straight free throws in the last 17 seconds and Rice...
Men’s Hoops Takes on Florida Atlantic in ...
02/10/2017 - Rice closes its three-game road trip this Saturday, Feb. 11, when it travels to Boca Raton, Fla., to face Florida Atlantic. Tip-off is set for 6 p....
Rice Uses Late Run to Defeat FIU, 89-78
02/09/2017 - Rice used a 21-8 run late in the second half to turn a 59-59 tie into an 89-78 win over FIU, Thursday night at Lime Court FIU Arena.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store