Feb. 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. – Rice University men’s basketball continues its three-game road trip on Thursday with a trip to the east coast to face new Conference USA member Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
It is the second of three-straight games away from Tudor Fieldhouse for the Owls (7-17, 2-9 C-USA) as the team makes its lone east-coast swing of the regular season.
Austin Ramljak leads the Owls with 11.9 points per game and has moved into sixth on the program’s single-season three-pointer list with 73. He surpassed last season’s total of 73 long-balls on Saturday and ranks among the league leaders in treys and three-point percentage. He paced the Owls in both scoring and rebounding at Louisiana Tech in the last outing.
Last Time Out
• Rice had trouble finding an answer to Louisiana Tech’s pressure defense last Saturday night in an 85-46 setback.
• The Owls will be happy to get back out on the court to erase memories from the season-high 23 turnovers in the first of two meetings with the Bulldogs.
• Rice shot 5-of-10 on three-pointers in the second half and improved its overall shooting to 40 percent in the frame, but it wasn’t enough to keep up Louisiana Tech’s 48.3 field goal clip in the game and 8-of-25 mark from downtown.
Ramljak led the team with nine points and six rebounds in the game, while Max Guercy also tallied nine points.
Series History (ODU leads, 1-0)
• This marks just the second meeting for the new Conference USA mates, as ODU claimed a 114-86 win in the 1970-71 season at the Norfolk Scope Arena.
• Rice last traveled to the Commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2009 for a contest against Richmond.
Scouting the Monarchs (12-14, 6-5 C-USA)
• Old Dominion is 7-5 at home this season, with a 2-2 mark in league games at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
• Aaron Bacote leads the team with 16.0 points and 2.96 assists per game.
• Two other players score in double figures for the Monarchs, including Dimitri Batten and Keenan Palmore.
• In its last outing, ODU fell at Tulsa, 76-37, on Saturday. Richard Ross and Ambrose Mosley combined for 23 of the team’s points.
• Old Dominion shoots 41.8 percent from the field and 31.7 percent from downtown. Head coach Jeff Jones’ squad owns a narrow 35.9-to-24.0 rebound edge over its opponents.
Second Half Play Propels Men's Basketball over ...
01/30/2016 - Rice shot 64.0% from the field in the second half on its way to a 95-87 victory, Saturday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. The 95 points were a season-high.
Men's Hoops Begins Homestand against North Texas
01/29/2016 - Rice begins a three-game homestand this Saturday, January 30, when it hosts in-state rival North Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Guercy's 20 Points Not Enough as Rice Falls at ...
01/23/2016 - A four-minute, 17-0 Middle Tennessee run turned a two-point lead into a 15-point deficit that Rice could not get itself out of as the Owls fell, 87...
Men’s Hoops Closes Trip at Middle Tennessee
01/22/2016 - Rice closes its two-game road trip this Saturday, January 23, when it travels to Murfreesboro, Tenn., to face Middle Tennessee. Tip-off is...
Owls Drop 82-70 Decision at UAB
01/22/2016 - Rice once again made a second half rally, but in the end, it wasn’t enough as the Owls fell, 82-70, Thursday night at league-leader UAB.
Men’s Hoops Begins Road Trip at League...
01/20/2016 - Rice begins it’s a two-game road trip this Thursday, January 21, when it travels to Birmingham, Ala., to face league leader UAB. Tip-off is...
Rice to Honor 1970 Southwest Conference Champions
01/18/2016 - Rice will honor the 1970 Southwest Conference championship team during halftime of the January 30 game against North Texas, scheduled for 7 p.m.
Marquez Letcher-Ellis Named C-USA Freshman of...
01/18/2016 - Marquez Letcher-Ellis was named Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store