Evans Leads Rice to Comeback Win over Florida Atlantic
Marcus Evans scored 29 points, including 19 in the second half, to lead Rice to a 12-point comeback victory over Florida Atlantic, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• Rice enters Saturday night’s game with a 16-8 record, 6-5 in Conference USA. The Owls have won three straight games and four of their last five after defeating FIU on Thursday, 89-78.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans is fourth in the conference in scoring, averaging 18.9 points per game. He is also third in three-point field goals made per game (2.5) and fourth in assists (4.4).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.7 points, good for fifth-place in C-USA. He leads the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 48.2% from beyond the arc. The Volgograd, Russia native is also fourth in the league in rebounding (8.6) and free throw percentage (.840), seventh in minutes played (33.9) and tied for eighth in three-pointers made per game (2.3).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 12.8 points, 2.5 assists and 2.3 rebounds and sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 8.0 points and is second on the team with 5.5 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 82.2 points per game while allowing 74.5.
• Rice is second in C-USA in field goal percentage (47.8%) while leading the league in three-point field goal percentage (40.0%). It is allowing 43.5% from the floor and 32.6% from three.
• Rice is outrebounding its opponents by an average of 5.0 boards per game, 38.1-to-33.1.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.4 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 40-48 (.455) record on South Main and a 237-124 (.657) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Florida Atlantic
• Florida Atlantic enters Saturday night’s contest with an 8-14 record, 4-7 in Conference USA. The Owls had their three-game winning streak snapped on Thursday, falling 70-64 to North Texas.
• Redshirt senior guard Adonis Filer leads the team with 10.1 points per game.
• Sophomore guard Nick Rutherford is averaging 9.4 points while placing sixth in the league with 4.3 assists.
• Redshirt junior center Ronald Delph is scoring 8.7 points per game. He is third in the conference in field goal percentage (.586), seventh in blocks (1.3) and eighth in rebounding (7.3).
• Florida Atlantic is scoring 70.5 points per game while allowing 71.6.
• The Owls are connecting on just 41.1% from the field and 32.2% from three while allowing 44.1% from the floor and 35.3% from three.
• FAU is also being outrebounded, 39.4-to-36.4.
• Head coach Michael Curry is in his third season at the helm of the Florida Atlantic men’s basketball program where he owns a 25-59 (.298) record.
• Rice and Florida Atlantic will meet for just the fourth time ever.
• Rice holds a 2-1 lead in the series and won the only other meeting in Boca Raton, a 76-69 decision in 2015.
• Rice begins a four-game homestand next Thursday, Feb. 16, when it hosts UTSA. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in...
03/19/2017 - Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is...
Evans' Late Push Gives Rice 85-76 Victory over ...
03/15/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 12 of Rice’s final 15 points as the Owls closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat San Francisco 85-76 and advance to the...
Men’s Hoops Opens CBI against San Francisco
03/14/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Wednesday, Mar. 15. Tip-off is ...
Rice to Host San Francisco in First Round of CBI
03/12/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by FIVE FOUR this Wednesday, Mar. 15 at 7 p.m. CT,...
Rice Falls to UTEP, 86-76, in C-USA Quarterfinals
03/09/2017 - Dominic Artis scored 20 of his season-high 26 points, and UTEP scored 20 of the last 25, in the first half before holding off Rice for an 86-76 win...
Rice Defeats Southern Miss 86-75 in First Round...
03/08/2017 - Marcus Evans made five 3-pointers and scored 26 points, Marcus Jackson added 20 points, and No. 5 seed Rice beat 12th-seeded Southern Mississippi...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store