Evans Leads Rice to Comeback Win over Florida Atlantic
Marcus Evans scored 29 points, including 19 in the second half, to lead Rice to a 12-point comeback victory over Florida Atlantic, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
• Rice enters Saturday night’s game with a 16-8 record, 6-5 in Conference USA. The Owls have won three straight games and four of their last five after defeating FIU on Thursday, 89-78.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans is fourth in the conference in scoring, averaging 18.9 points per game. He is also third in three-point field goals made per game (2.5) and fourth in assists (4.4).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.7 points, good for fifth-place in C-USA. He leads the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 48.2% from beyond the arc. The Volgograd, Russia native is also fourth in the league in rebounding (8.6) and free throw percentage (.840), seventh in minutes played (33.9) and tied for eighth in three-pointers made per game (2.3).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 12.8 points, 2.5 assists and 2.3 rebounds and sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 8.0 points and is second on the team with 5.5 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 82.2 points per game while allowing 74.5.
• Rice is second in C-USA in field goal percentage (47.8%) while leading the league in three-point field goal percentage (40.0%). It is allowing 43.5% from the floor and 32.6% from three.
• Rice is outrebounding its opponents by an average of 5.0 boards per game, 38.1-to-33.1.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.4 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 40-48 (.455) record on South Main and a 237-124 (.657) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Florida Atlantic
• Florida Atlantic enters Saturday night’s contest with an 8-14 record, 4-7 in Conference USA. The Owls had their three-game winning streak snapped on Thursday, falling 70-64 to North Texas.
• Redshirt senior guard Adonis Filer leads the team with 10.1 points per game.
• Sophomore guard Nick Rutherford is averaging 9.4 points while placing sixth in the league with 4.3 assists.
• Redshirt junior center Ronald Delph is scoring 8.7 points per game. He is third in the conference in field goal percentage (.586), seventh in blocks (1.3) and eighth in rebounding (7.3).
• Florida Atlantic is scoring 70.5 points per game while allowing 71.6.
• The Owls are connecting on just 41.1% from the field and 32.2% from three while allowing 44.1% from the floor and 35.3% from three.
• FAU is also being outrebounded, 39.4-to-36.4.
• Head coach Michael Curry is in his third season at the helm of the Florida Atlantic men’s basketball program where he owns a 25-59 (.298) record.
• Rice and Florida Atlantic will meet for just the fourth time ever.
• Rice holds a 2-1 lead in the series and won the only other meeting in Boca Raton, a 76-69 decision in 2015.
• Rice begins a four-game homestand next Thursday, Feb. 16, when it hosts UTSA. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
Evans’ Layup Gives Rice 72-71 Overtime...
02/23/2017 - Marcus Evans’ layup with 1.9 seconds left gave Rice its first lead of overtime and the 72-71 victory over Southern Miss, Thursday night at...
Men’s Hoops Looks to Get Back to Its...
02/22/2017 - Rice looks to get back on track this Thursday, Feb. 23, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA...
Rice Scholar Athletes Honored
02/26/2017 - Rice Athletics and the R Association honored some of its best and brightest on Sunday evening as the 2017 Rice Scholar Athletes and Honor Athletes ...
Mike Rhoades Radio Show Continues Tonight from ...
02/20/2017 - The Mike Rhoades Radio Show continues tonight at 7 p.m. from the Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar (5555 Morningside Drive).
Shooting Woes Doom Rice in 79-71 Loss to UTEP
02/18/2017 - Egor Koulechov had 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Owls, but it would not be enough as Rice fell to UTEP by a score of 79-71 on Saturday night.
Men’s Hoops Looks to Keep Streak Going...
02/17/2017 - Rice looks to keep its winning streak alive this Saturday, Feb. 18, when it hosts UTEP. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
Late Spurt Gives Men's Basketball 80-68 Victory...
02/16/2017 - Rice closed the game on a 15-3 run over the final 4:24 to defeat UTSA, 80-68 and earn its fifth straight victory, Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men's Hoops Begins Final Homestand against UTSA
02/15/2017 - Rice begins its final homestand of the year this Thursday, Feb. 16, when it hosts UTSA. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store