Get Tickets | Live Video | Live Audio | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON— Rice closes its three-game homestand this Saturday, February 6, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Late Free Throws Lift Owls to Victory Over Southern Miss
Rice University men's basketball came from 10 points down in the second half to knock off Southern Miss, 58-56, on Thursday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. It was the Owls' second-straight Conference USA win as the team closed the game on a 16-4 run over the final seven minutes.
• Rice and Southern Miss will meet for 14th time overall and the 12th time as conference members.
• The Golden Eagles hold an 8-5 record in the series.
• In Houston, Rice leads 4-2.
• Last year, the Owls snapped a five-game losing streak to Southern Miss, winning 58-56 in Houston.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 7-15 record and is 2-7 in Conference USA after falling, 90-78, Thursday night to Louisiana Tech.
• Freshman Marcus Evans is third in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.6 points per game. He is tied for the league lead in steals (1.9) and is ninth in minutes played (32.6). Evans is also pulling down 4.0 rebounds per game.
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 16.8 points while leading the team with 6.9 rebounds. He is third in C-USA in free throw percentage (.855) and fourth in three-pointers made (2.5) and minutes played (33.7).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.6 points and second with 5.2 rebounds. He is also seventh in C-USA with 1.1 blocks.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 8.2 points. He leads the league and is fifth in the country in free throw percentage (.899), is tied for second in assists (5.5) and is sixth in minutes played (33.4).
• Rice is averaging 76.1 points per game while allowing 81.1.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.7% from the field and just 31.2% from the three-point line while allowing 48.9% from the field and 40.7% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 73.8%.
Scouting Southern Miss • Southern Miss enters the game with a 7-13 record. The Golden Eagles are 4-5 in Conference USA after falling 70-54 at North Texas on Thursday.
• Senior guard Kourtlin Jackson leads the team with 11.8 points and 4.7 rebounds.
• Junior guard Khari Price is scoring 10.3 points. He is second in the league in free throw percentage (.868) and eighth in assists (3.8).
• Southern Miss is averaging just 61.2 points per game while allowing 66.8 which is good for second in C-USA.
• The Golden Eagles are connecting on just 39.4% from the field and 33.0% from three while allowing 41.2% from the floor and 33.6% from three.
• USM is second in the league in three-pointers made per game (7.83) and third in free throw percentage (.713).
• Doc Sadler is in his second season at the helm of the Southern Miss basketball program, where he has a 16-33 (.327) record. In 10 years as a head coach, he is 165-140 (.541).
Rice to Honor Brent Scott
• Rice will honor Brent Scott with an honor jersey during halftime against Southern Miss.
• Scott, the 1990 Southwest Conference Freshman of the Year, was named All-Southwest Conference three straight years from 1990-93.
• He is second in school history in both scoring (1,906) and rebounding (1,049). He is the school record holder in free throws made (432) and free throws attempted (744) while placing second in games started (116), fifth in field goal percentage (.552), eighth in rebounding average (8.97), ninth in scoring average.
• Scott becomes the seventh player in Rice history to have their jersey honored, joining Bill Henry (#16 - 1942-45), Gene Schwinger (#21 - 1951-54), Bill Tom Closs (#22 - 1940-43), Bob Kinney (#23 - 1939-42), Ricky Pierce (#22 - 1979-82) and Don Lance (#29 - 1951-54).
• Rice begins a two-game road trip next Thursday, Feb. 11, when it travels to Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT.