Get Tickets | Live Video | Live Audio | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice continues its three-game homestand this Thursday, February 4, when it hosts Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Comeback Falls Just Short to Top Seed LA Tech in Quarterfinal
One night after putting together a complete game in the Conference USA Championship opener, Rice University men's basketball gave top seed Louisiana Tech all it could handle in the quarterfinal round in a 70-64 setback on Thursday night at Legacy Arena.
• Rice and Louisiana Tech will meet for 17th time overall and the 13th time as conference members.
• The teams faced off eight times from 2001-05 as members of the Western Athletic Conference.
• The Bulldogs hold an 11-5 record in the series and hold a 6-2 record in Houston.
• The Owls are looking for their first win over Louisiana Tech as members of Conference USA, having lost the previous four meetings.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 7-14 record and is 2-6 in Conference USA. The Owls snapped a three-game losing streak last Saturday, defeating North Texas, 95-87.
• Freshman Marcus Evans is third in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.7 points per game. He is tied for the league lead in steals (1.9) and is 10th in minutes played (32.6). Evans is also pulling down 4.0 rebounds per game.
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 16.7 points while leading the team with 7.0 rebounds, which is tied for 10th in the conference. He is third in C-USA in free throw percentage (.852) and minutes played (33.9) and fourth in three-pointers made (2.4).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.5 points and second with 5.1 rebounds. He is seventh in C-USA with 1.1 blocks and is 10th in field goal percentage, connecting on 53.1% from the field.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 8.2 points. He leads the league and is fifth in the country in free throw percentage (.902), is tied for second in assists (5.5) and is fifth in minutes played (33.4).
• Rice is averaging 76.0 points per game while allowing 80.7.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.8% from the field and just 30.8% from the three-point line while allowing 48.6% from the field and 40.8% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 73.8% and is tied for third in steals (6.8).
Scouting Louisiana Tech
• Louisiana Tech enters the game with a 16-5 record. The Bulldogs are 5-3 in Conference USA and have won their last three games after defeating UTEP, 78-70, on Sunday.
• Senior guard Alex Hamilton is fourth in Conference USA with 17.8 points. He leads the league in assists (6.1) and steals (1.9) and is second in minutes played (34.0).
• Junior forward Erik McCree is tied for ninth in the league with 16.0 points per game. He is also seventh in the league in rebounding (7.4).
• Sophomore guard Dayon Griffin is averaging 11.0 points. He is second in C-USA in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 43.2% and is ninth in steals (1.3).
• Freshman forward Jy’lan Washington is ninth in C-USA in blocks with 1.1.
• Louisiana Tech is averaging 78.9 points per game, good for second in Conference USA, while allowing 69.3.
• The Bulldogs are connecting on 44.6% from the field and 33.1% from three while allowing 41.0% from the floor and 30.0% from three, which leads the league.
• Louisiana Tech also leads the league in rebounds (39.3) and is second in blocks (5.2) and steals (7.5). • Erik Konkol is in his first season at the helm of the Louisiana Tech basketball program, where he has a 16-5 (.762) record.
• Rice closes its homestand this Saturday, Feb. 6, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.