Rice Falls to Old Dominion 62-56 in C-USA opener
Rice shot just 37.1% from the field, as the Owls dropped their conference opener to Old Dominion, Saturday afternoon at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
HOUSTON — Rice begins a two-game homestand this Thursday, Jan. 26, when it hosts Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CampusInsiders.com.
• Rice enters Thursday night’s game with a 13-7 record, 3-4 in Conference USA. The Owls are coming off a 61-58 victory at Southern Miss last Saturday.
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 19.2 points, good for fourth-place in C-USA. He leads the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 51.6% from beyond the arc. The Volgograd, Russia native is also tied for second in the league in rebounding (8.8), is third in free throw percentage (.850), fifth in three-point field goals made (2.4) and seventh in minutes played (33.7).
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans is fifth in the conference in scoring, averaging 18.2 points per game. He is also fourth in assists (4.6) and eighth in three-point field goals made per game (2.2).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 13.1 points, 2.9 assists and 2.5 rebounds and sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 7.8 points and is second on the team with 5.4 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 81.7 points per game while allowing 74.1.
• Rice is second in C-USA in field goal percentage (47.7%) while leading the league in three-point field goal percentage (39.2%). It is allowing 43.7% from the floor and 34.0% from three.
• Rice is outrebounding its opponents by an average of 5.4 boards per game, 37.9-to-32.5.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.2 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 37-47 (.440) record on South Main and a 234-123 (.655) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Old Dominion
• Old Dominion enters Thursday night’s contest with an 11-8 record, 4-3 in Conference USA. The Monarchs have lost two straight games after falling at Charlotte last Saturday, 74-72.
• Sophomore guard Ahmad Caver leads the team with 12.8 points. He is second in C-USA in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.2) and sixth in assists (4.3).
• Redshirt sophomore forward Zoran Talley is second on the team with 12.4 points.
• Redshirt junior forward Brandan Stith is scoring 10.4 points per game while placing third in the league in blocks (2.1) and sixth in rebounds (8.2).
• Senior forward Denzell Taylor is fifth in the conference in rebounding (8.3).
• Old Dominion is scoring just 62.2 points per game while allowing a league-low 60.3.
• The Monarchs are connecting on just 38.4% from the field and 31.0% from three while allowing a league-low 40.0% from the floor and 33.7% from three.
• Old Dominion is outrebounding its opponents by a league-best 6.6 boards per game, 40.2-to-33.6.
• ODU is also second in the league in blocks (5.3).
• Head coach Jeff Jones is in his fourth season at the helm of the Old Dominion men’s basketball program where he owns a 81-47 (.633) record. In 24 seasons as a head coach, Jones is 438-333 (.568).
• Rice and Old Dominion will meet for the second time this year and the eighth time overall.
• The Owls are just 1-6 in the series and are looking for their first win at home, having lost the previous two meetings.
• Earlier this year, ODU won a 62-56 decision in Norfolk.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is 1-4 against Old Dominion.
• Rice closes its homestand this Saturday, Jan. 28, when it hosts Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.