Jan. 24, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its brief homestand on Saturday with the first-ever meeting with Charlotte. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Rice (5-13, 0-5 C-USA) is hosting the ‘Battle of the Badges’ on Saturday as well, as local Police and Firefighters square off in several on-campus events leading up to the game.
Sean Obi took over the Conference USA lead with 9.6 rebounds per game after hauling in 17 boards on Thursday night. The freshman tallied his seventh double-double of the season with 22 points on 11-of-13 shooting in the game as well.
One of the nation’s premier shooters, Austin Ramljak needs just one more three-pointer to crack Rice’s single-season top 10. The senior has 60 treys on the year so far. He passed the 500-point career scoring mark on Thursday.
Last Time Out
• Rice rallied back from an 11-point halftime hole, but couldn’t get over the hump against Marshall in an eventual 73-63 setback.
• Obi was the star of the game as he connected on 11-of-13 field goal attempts for 22 points to accompany 17 rebounds, two assists and a pair of blocks.
• Marcus Jackson returned to the starting lineup and tallied 10 points with four assists.
• Max Guercy led the Owls with five assists and added seven points and three rebounds in the game.
• The Owls outscored Marshall in the second half and cut the deficit to as few as three points on numerous occasions after halftime.
• This weekend, the Rice coaching staff joins hundreds of others around the country this weekend in the annual “Suits and Sneakers” event in support of Coaches vs. Cancer.
• Head coach Ben Braun and his staff will lace up their sneakers for Saturday’s game.
• Since 1993, coaches and their supporters have raised more than $87 million for the American Cancer Society.
• For more information on the cause, visit cancer.org/suitsandsneakers.
• The Owls and 49ers have never met on the hardwood.
• Charlotte makes its return to Conference USA after calling the league home from 1995-2005. Rice joined C-USA the season following the 49ers’ departure to the Atlantic 10.
Scouting the 49ers (12-6, 3-2 Conference USA)
• Charlotte’s two-game winning streak was snapped in an 80-60 loss at Louisiana Tech on Thursday.
• Pierria Henry leads the team with 12.6 points per game, but four other players also score in double figures.
• The 49ers shoot 45.4 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from downtown on the season while out-rebounding opponents by 4.3 boards per game.
• Charlotte is 2-4 on the road this season, including a 1-2 mark in C-USA action. The team boasts wins over Michigan, Kansas State and Northeastern en route to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off title.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/10/2015 - For the eighth time in the past 10 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2014-15 by...
Four Owls Earn C-USA Scholar-Athlete Award
07/09/2015 - Seth Gearhart, Evan Karakolis, Belle MacFarlane and Brian Nordstrom have all been named recipients of the 2014-15 Conference USA Scholar Athlete of...
Rice Announces 2015 Hall of Fame Class
06/30/2015 - Richard and William Barker, Bubba Crosby, Jarett Dillard, Funmilayo Jimoh, Holly Jones-Wright, Lauren Shockley and Brent Scott will be inducted as ...
Men's Basketball Adds Lott for Fall 2015
05/19/2015 - Rice University head men's basketball coach Mike Rhoades announced the signing of a fifth freshman for the incoming class in Chad Lott (Shreveport,...
Men's Basketball Signs Smith for 2015
04/30/2015 - Rice University head men's basketball coach Mike Rhoades announced the signing of Amir Smith (Missouri City, Texas/Ridge Point HS) to a National...
Gearhart Named a C-USA Spirit of Service Award ...
04/08/2015 - Men's basketball senior Seth Gearhart has been named Rice's Conference USA Spirit of Service Award winner for winter sports, the league office...
Comeback Falls Just Short to Top Seed LA Tech...
03/13/2015 - One night after putting together a complete game in the Conference USA Championship opener, Rice University men's basketball gave top seed...
Men's Basketball Dominates North Texas in C-USA...
03/11/2015 - Marcus Jackson scored 28 points to lead No. 9 Rice University men's basketball past eight-seed North Texas, 82-54, in the opening round of the...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store