Jan. 24, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its brief homestand on Saturday with the first-ever meeting with Charlotte. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Rice (5-13, 0-5 C-USA) is hosting the ‘Battle of the Badges’ on Saturday as well, as local Police and Firefighters square off in several on-campus events leading up to the game.
Sean Obi took over the Conference USA lead with 9.6 rebounds per game after hauling in 17 boards on Thursday night. The freshman tallied his seventh double-double of the season with 22 points on 11-of-13 shooting in the game as well.
One of the nation’s premier shooters, Austin Ramljak needs just one more three-pointer to crack Rice’s single-season top 10. The senior has 60 treys on the year so far. He passed the 500-point career scoring mark on Thursday.
Last Time Out
• Rice rallied back from an 11-point halftime hole, but couldn’t get over the hump against Marshall in an eventual 73-63 setback.
• Obi was the star of the game as he connected on 11-of-13 field goal attempts for 22 points to accompany 17 rebounds, two assists and a pair of blocks.
• Marcus Jackson returned to the starting lineup and tallied 10 points with four assists.
• Max Guercy led the Owls with five assists and added seven points and three rebounds in the game.
• The Owls outscored Marshall in the second half and cut the deficit to as few as three points on numerous occasions after halftime.
• This weekend, the Rice coaching staff joins hundreds of others around the country this weekend in the annual “Suits and Sneakers” event in support of Coaches vs. Cancer.
• Head coach Ben Braun and his staff will lace up their sneakers for Saturday’s game.
• Since 1993, coaches and their supporters have raised more than $87 million for the American Cancer Society.
• For more information on the cause, visit cancer.org/suitsandsneakers.
• The Owls and 49ers have never met on the hardwood.
• Charlotte makes its return to Conference USA after calling the league home from 1995-2005. Rice joined C-USA the season following the 49ers’ departure to the Atlantic 10.
Scouting the 49ers (12-6, 3-2 Conference USA)
• Charlotte’s two-game winning streak was snapped in an 80-60 loss at Louisiana Tech on Thursday.
• Pierria Henry leads the team with 12.6 points per game, but four other players also score in double figures.
• The 49ers shoot 45.4 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from downtown on the season while out-rebounding opponents by 4.3 boards per game.
• Charlotte is 2-4 on the road this season, including a 1-2 mark in C-USA action. The team boasts wins over Michigan, Kansas State and Northeastern en route to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off title.
Men’s Hoops Hosts Crosstown Foe Houston...
11/29/2016 - Rice returns home this Wednesday, Nov. 30, when it hosts crosstown foe Houston Baptist. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed by...
Koulechov's Career Day Leads Rice to 87-79 Win ...
11/26/2016 - Egor Koulechov made all six of his 3-point attempts for a career-high 35 points as Rice pulled away late to beat Incarnate Word 87-79 on Saturday.
Men’s Basketball Heads to San Antonio to ...
11/25/2016 - Rice stays in the state of Texas this Saturday, Nov. 26, when it travels to San Antonio to face Incarnate Word. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CT.
Rice Uses Late Spurt to Down Delaware State, 80-58
11/23/2016 - Rice outscored Delaware State, 35-12, in the final 10 minutes to earn an 80-58 victory Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Basketball Closes Homestand against...
11/22/2016 - Rice closes its homestand this Wednesday, Nov. 23, when it hosts Delaware State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Second Half Comeback Propels Rice to 83-78...
11/21/2016 - Marcus Evans scored on a layup and knocked down 3 of 4 from the free throw line, all in the final minute, as Rice held off Montana State 83-78 on...
Men’s Hoops Opens Homestand Against...
11/20/2016 - Rice begins a two-game homestand this Monday, Nov. 21, when it hosts Montana State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Red Hot Shooting Leads Rice to 100-87 Victory...
11/19/2016 - Rice shot 63.3% from the floor on its way to a 100-87 win at Nebraska-Omaha, Saturday afternoon.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store