Jan. 24, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its brief homestand on Saturday with the first-ever meeting with Charlotte. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Rice (5-13, 0-5 C-USA) is hosting the ‘Battle of the Badges’ on Saturday as well, as local Police and Firefighters square off in several on-campus events leading up to the game.
Sean Obi took over the Conference USA lead with 9.6 rebounds per game after hauling in 17 boards on Thursday night. The freshman tallied his seventh double-double of the season with 22 points on 11-of-13 shooting in the game as well.
One of the nation’s premier shooters, Austin Ramljak needs just one more three-pointer to crack Rice’s single-season top 10. The senior has 60 treys on the year so far. He passed the 500-point career scoring mark on Thursday.
Last Time Out
• Rice rallied back from an 11-point halftime hole, but couldn’t get over the hump against Marshall in an eventual 73-63 setback.
• Obi was the star of the game as he connected on 11-of-13 field goal attempts for 22 points to accompany 17 rebounds, two assists and a pair of blocks.
• Marcus Jackson returned to the starting lineup and tallied 10 points with four assists.
• Max Guercy led the Owls with five assists and added seven points and three rebounds in the game.
• The Owls outscored Marshall in the second half and cut the deficit to as few as three points on numerous occasions after halftime.
• This weekend, the Rice coaching staff joins hundreds of others around the country this weekend in the annual “Suits and Sneakers” event in support of Coaches vs. Cancer.
• Head coach Ben Braun and his staff will lace up their sneakers for Saturday’s game.
• Since 1993, coaches and their supporters have raised more than $87 million for the American Cancer Society.
• For more information on the cause, visit cancer.org/suitsandsneakers.
• The Owls and 49ers have never met on the hardwood.
• Charlotte makes its return to Conference USA after calling the league home from 1995-2005. Rice joined C-USA the season following the 49ers’ departure to the Atlantic 10.
Scouting the 49ers (12-6, 3-2 Conference USA)
• Charlotte’s two-game winning streak was snapped in an 80-60 loss at Louisiana Tech on Thursday.
• Pierria Henry leads the team with 12.6 points per game, but four other players also score in double figures.
• The 49ers shoot 45.4 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from downtown on the season while out-rebounding opponents by 4.3 boards per game.
• Charlotte is 2-4 on the road this season, including a 1-2 mark in C-USA action. The team boasts wins over Michigan, Kansas State and Northeastern en route to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off title.
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in...
03/19/2017 - Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is...
Evans' Late Push Gives Rice 85-76 Victory over ...
03/15/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 12 of Rice’s final 15 points as the Owls closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat San Francisco 85-76 and advance to the...
Men’s Hoops Opens CBI against San Francisco
03/14/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Wednesday, Mar. 15. Tip-off is ...
Rice to Host San Francisco in First Round of CBI
03/12/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by FIVE FOUR this Wednesday, Mar. 15 at 7 p.m. CT,...
Rice Falls to UTEP, 86-76, in C-USA Quarterfinals
03/09/2017 - Dominic Artis scored 20 of his season-high 26 points, and UTEP scored 20 of the last 25, in the first half before holding off Rice for an 86-76 win...
Rice Defeats Southern Miss 86-75 in First Round...
03/08/2017 - Marcus Evans made five 3-pointers and scored 26 points, Marcus Jackson added 20 points, and No. 5 seed Rice beat 12th-seeded Southern Mississippi...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store