Jan. 24, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its brief homestand on Saturday with the first-ever meeting with Charlotte. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Rice (5-13, 0-5 C-USA) is hosting the ‘Battle of the Badges’ on Saturday as well, as local Police and Firefighters square off in several on-campus events leading up to the game.
Sean Obi took over the Conference USA lead with 9.6 rebounds per game after hauling in 17 boards on Thursday night. The freshman tallied his seventh double-double of the season with 22 points on 11-of-13 shooting in the game as well.
One of the nation’s premier shooters, Austin Ramljak needs just one more three-pointer to crack Rice’s single-season top 10. The senior has 60 treys on the year so far. He passed the 500-point career scoring mark on Thursday.
Last Time Out
• Rice rallied back from an 11-point halftime hole, but couldn’t get over the hump against Marshall in an eventual 73-63 setback.
• Obi was the star of the game as he connected on 11-of-13 field goal attempts for 22 points to accompany 17 rebounds, two assists and a pair of blocks.
• Marcus Jackson returned to the starting lineup and tallied 10 points with four assists.
• Max Guercy led the Owls with five assists and added seven points and three rebounds in the game.
• The Owls outscored Marshall in the second half and cut the deficit to as few as three points on numerous occasions after halftime.
• This weekend, the Rice coaching staff joins hundreds of others around the country this weekend in the annual “Suits and Sneakers” event in support of Coaches vs. Cancer.
• Head coach Ben Braun and his staff will lace up their sneakers for Saturday’s game.
• Since 1993, coaches and their supporters have raised more than $87 million for the American Cancer Society.
• For more information on the cause, visit cancer.org/suitsandsneakers.
• The Owls and 49ers have never met on the hardwood.
• Charlotte makes its return to Conference USA after calling the league home from 1995-2005. Rice joined C-USA the season following the 49ers’ departure to the Atlantic 10.
Scouting the 49ers (12-6, 3-2 Conference USA)
• Charlotte’s two-game winning streak was snapped in an 80-60 loss at Louisiana Tech on Thursday.
• Pierria Henry leads the team with 12.6 points per game, but four other players also score in double figures.
• The 49ers shoot 45.4 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from downtown on the season while out-rebounding opponents by 4.3 boards per game.
• Charlotte is 2-4 on the road this season, including a 1-2 mark in C-USA action. The team boasts wins over Michigan, Kansas State and Northeastern en route to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off title.
Men's Hoops Begins C-USA Tournament against...
03/08/2016 - No. 10 seed Rice opens the Conference USA Tournament on Wednesday, March 9, against seventh-seeded Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT...
Marcus Evans Named Conference USA Freshman of...
03/08/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year, the conference office announced Tuesday morning.
Marcus Evans Earns Sixth Straight Freshman of...
03/07/2016 - For the sixth straight week and the 10th time this season, Marcus Evans was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media,...
Evans Named First Team All-Conference USA
03/07/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named First Team All-Conference USA, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Rice to Face Charlotte at C-USA Tournament
03/05/2016 - Rice will be the 10th seed in next week’s Conference USA Tournament, to be played in Birmingham, Ala., Conference USA announced Saturday...
Comeback Comes up Short as Rice Drops Regular...
03/05/2016 - Rice cut a 17-point second half deficit to three-points, but two turnovers in the final minute and a half proved costly as the Owls fell, 74-67 on ...
Men’s Hoops Closes Regular Season with...
03/04/2016 - Rice closes the regular season on Saturday, Mar. 5, when it hosts Old Dominion. The Owls will honor Max Guercy on Senior Day. Tip-off is scheduled ...
Rice Falls to Charlotte, 88-75
03/03/2016 - Rice battled back from an early deficit but it was not enough, as the Owls fell 88-75 to Charlotte Thursday night from Tudor Fieldhouse.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store