Jan. 24, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its brief homestand on Saturday with the first-ever meeting with Charlotte. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Rice (5-13, 0-5 C-USA) is hosting the ‘Battle of the Badges’ on Saturday as well, as local Police and Firefighters square off in several on-campus events leading up to the game.
Sean Obi took over the Conference USA lead with 9.6 rebounds per game after hauling in 17 boards on Thursday night. The freshman tallied his seventh double-double of the season with 22 points on 11-of-13 shooting in the game as well.
One of the nation’s premier shooters, Austin Ramljak needs just one more three-pointer to crack Rice’s single-season top 10. The senior has 60 treys on the year so far. He passed the 500-point career scoring mark on Thursday.
Last Time Out
• Rice rallied back from an 11-point halftime hole, but couldn’t get over the hump against Marshall in an eventual 73-63 setback.
• Obi was the star of the game as he connected on 11-of-13 field goal attempts for 22 points to accompany 17 rebounds, two assists and a pair of blocks.
• Marcus Jackson returned to the starting lineup and tallied 10 points with four assists.
• Max Guercy led the Owls with five assists and added seven points and three rebounds in the game.
• The Owls outscored Marshall in the second half and cut the deficit to as few as three points on numerous occasions after halftime.
• This weekend, the Rice coaching staff joins hundreds of others around the country this weekend in the annual “Suits and Sneakers” event in support of Coaches vs. Cancer.
• Head coach Ben Braun and his staff will lace up their sneakers for Saturday’s game.
• Since 1993, coaches and their supporters have raised more than $87 million for the American Cancer Society.
• For more information on the cause, visit cancer.org/suitsandsneakers.
• The Owls and 49ers have never met on the hardwood.
• Charlotte makes its return to Conference USA after calling the league home from 1995-2005. Rice joined C-USA the season following the 49ers’ departure to the Atlantic 10.
Scouting the 49ers (12-6, 3-2 Conference USA)
• Charlotte’s two-game winning streak was snapped in an 80-60 loss at Louisiana Tech on Thursday.
• Pierria Henry leads the team with 12.6 points per game, but four other players also score in double figures.
• The 49ers shoot 45.4 percent from the field and 38.2 percent from downtown on the season while out-rebounding opponents by 4.3 boards per game.
• Charlotte is 2-4 on the road this season, including a 1-2 mark in C-USA action. The team boasts wins over Michigan, Kansas State and Northeastern en route to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off title.
Strong Second Half Propels Rice to Victory over...
02/06/2016 - Rice made its first eight shots of the second half to turn a one-point halftime deficit into a 72-65 victory over Southern Miss, Saturday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Closes Homestand Versus...
02/05/2016 - Rice closes its three-game homestand this Saturday, February 6, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Evans' Record-Setting Day Not Enough as Rice...
02/04/2016 - Marcus Evans scored 17 points to become Rice’s all-time freshman scoring leader, but it was not enough as the Owls fell to Louisiana Tech, 90...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Louisiana Tech
02/03/2016 - Rice continues its three-game homestand this Thursday, February 4, when it hosts Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Marcus Evans Earns Fifth C-USA Freshman of the ...
02/01/2016 - Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Second Half Play Propels Men's Basketball over ...
01/30/2016 - Rice shot 64.0% from the field in the second half on its way to a 95-87 victory, Saturday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. The 95 points were a season-high.
Men's Hoops Begins Homestand against North Texas
01/29/2016 - Rice begins a three-game homestand this Saturday, January 30, when it hosts in-state rival North Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Guercy's 20 Points Not Enough as Rice Falls at ...
01/23/2016 - A four-minute, 17-0 Middle Tennessee run turned a two-point lead into a 15-point deficit that Rice could not get itself out of as the Owls fell, 87...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store