Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON — Rice closes its two-game road trip this Saturday, January 23, when it travels to Murfreesboro, Tenn., to face Middle Tennessee. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. CT.
Men's Basketball Falls at Marshall
A 15-2 run early in the second half broke open a tight contest and Rice University men's basketball was unable to recover in a 69-55 loss to Marshall on Thursday evening at the Cam Henderson Center.
• Rice and Middle Tennessee will meet for just the sixth 12th time and the third as members of Conference USA.
• MT leads the series, 3-2.
• Rice is looking for its first victory in Murfreesboro, having dropped the previous two meetings.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 6-13 record and is 1-5 in Conference USA. The Owls dropped their second straight game on Thursday, 82-70, at league leader UAB.
• Freshman Marcus Evans leads Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.9 points per game. He also leads the league in steals (2.0) and is eighth in minutes played (32.6). Evans is also pulling down 4.2 rebounds per game.
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is tied for sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 16.8 points while leading the team with 6.9 rebounds, which is good for eighth in the conference. He is second in C-USA in free throw percentage (.860), third in minutes played (33.6) and fourth in three-pointers made (2.5).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.2 points and second with 5.1 rebounds. He is fifth in C-USA with 1.2 blocks and is connecting on 51.9% from the field.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 6.8 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.894), is second in assists (5.5) and fifth in minutes played (33.0).
• Rice is averaging 75.2 points per game while allowing 80.1.
• The Owls are connecting on 42.9% from the field and just 29.9% from the three-point line while allowing 48.0% from the field and 41.0% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 73.1%.
Scouting Middle Tennessee
• Middle Tennessee enters the game with a 13-5 record. The Blue Raiders are 5-1 in Conference USA and have won five straight after defeating North Texas, 86-64, on Thursday.
• Sophomore guard Giddy Potts is 10th in the conference with 15.6 points. He leads C-USA in both three-point field goal percentage (.500) and three-pointers made per game (2.8).
• Senior forward Darnell Harris is second on the team in with 13.3 points.
• Junior forward Reggie Upshaw is averaging 13.2 points. He is fourth in the league in rebounding (8.6) and steals (1.4) and 10th in field goal percentage (.544).
• Senior guard/forward Perrin Buford is averaging 10.4 points. He is also seventh in the conference in blocks (1.1).
• Middle Tennessee is averaging 72.1 points per game while allowing 67.7.
• The Blue Raiders are connecting on 44.6% from the field and 37.1% from three, which is second in the league, while allowing just 41.1% from the floor and 33.8% from three.
• MT is also second in the league in three-pointers made per game (7.8).
• Kermit Davis is in his 14th season at the helm of the Middle Tennessee basketball program, where he has a 264-170 (.608) record. In 21 seasons as a head coach, Davis is 401-245 (.621).
• Rice begins a three-game homestand next Saturday, Jan. 30, when it hosts North Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.