Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
HOUSTON— Rice begins it’s a two-game road trip this Thursday, January 21, when it travels to Birmingham, Ala., to face league leader UAB. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and will be nationally-televised by CBS Sports Network.
Gearhart Racks Up 32 Points in Double Overtime Win Against UAB
In a second-straight double-overtime game, Rice University men's basketball stayed strong to the end to top UAB, 82-73, behind a career-high 32 points from Seth Gearhart. The Owls' third-straight win marked the program's longest Conference USA winning streak since the 2006-07 campaign.
• Rice and UAB will meet for the 11th straight year and the 12th time overall.
• UAB leads the series, 10-1.
• Last year, the Owls snapped a 10-game losing streak to UAB, winning 82-73 in double-overtime.
• Ten of the 11 meetings have come as members of Conference USA.
• Rice is looking for its first victory in Birmingham, having dropped the previous five meetings.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 6-12 record and is 1-4 in Conference USA. The Owls fell on Saturday, 94-90, to conference co-leader Marshall.
• Freshman Marcus Evans leads Conference USA in scoring, averaging 20.2 points per game. He is tied for the league lead in steals (1.9) and is fifth in minutes played (33.1). Evans is also pulling down 4.4 rebounds per game.
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 17.0 points while leading the team with 6.8 rebounds. He is second in the conference in free throw percentage (.855), third in minutes played (33.6) and fourth in three-pointers made (2.6).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 10.1 points and second with 4.8 rebounds. He is tied for fifth in C-USA with 1.2 blocks and is connecting on 52.5% from the field.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 7.9 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.894), is second in assists (5.7) and sixth in minutes played (32.7).
• Rice is averaging 75.5 points per game while allowing 79.9.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.6% from the field and 30.9% from the three-point line while allowing 48.0% from the field and 41.2% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 73.1%.
• UAB enters the game with a 15-3 record. The Blazers are 5-0 in Conference USA and have won 12 straight after defeating Charlotte, 74-72, on Saturday.
• Sophomore forward Chris Cokley leads UAB with 14.2 points and 6.7 rebounds. He is also third in the league in field goal percentage (.599).
• Senior guard Robert Brown is second on the team in with 12.6 points and is sixth in the league in three-point field goal percentage (.416).
• Sophomore forward William Lee is averaging 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds. He is also second in the league with 3.2 blocks per game.
• Sophomore guard Nick Norton is third in the league with 5.5 assists and junior guard Hakeem Baxter is eighth in free throw percentage (.783).
• UAB is averaging 78.9 points per game while allowing 67.3.
• The Blazers are connecting on 48.8% from the field and 38.1% from three, which both lead the league, while allowing just 40.0% from the floor and 31.7% from three.
• UAB also leads the league in assists (19.2) and blocks (6.6) and is second in rebounding defense (34.1).
• Jerrod Haase is in his fourth season at the helm of the UAB basketball program, where he has a 69-49 (.585) record.
• Rice closes its road trip this Saturday, Jan. 23, when it travels to Murfreesboro, Tenn., to face Middle Tennessee. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. CT.