Tickets | Watch Live | Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
Men's Basketball Falls at Marshall
A 15-2 run early in the second half broke open a tight contest and Rice University men's basketball was unable to recover in a 69-55 loss to Marshall on Thursday evening at the Cam Henderson Center.
HOUSTON — Rice looks to win its second straight game when it hosts Marshall this Saturday, January 16. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be televised by ASN. The game will also be shown on Owl Vision.
• Rice and Marshall will meet for the 11th straight year and the 12th time overall.
• Marshall leads the series, 9-2.
• The Owls have dropped six straight in the series, as they are looking for their first victory since 2009.
• All 11 meetings have come as members of Conference USA.
• Rice is looking for its first victory on its home floor, having dropped the previous four meetings.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 6-11 record and is 1-3 in Conference USA. The Owls snapped a five-game losing streak on Thursday by defeating WKU, 83-73.
• Freshman Marcus Evans leads Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.7 points per game. He is second in steals (1.9) and fifth in minutes played (32.9). Evans is also pulling down 4.5 rebounds per game.
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is sixth in the conference in scoring, averaging 17.4 points while leading the team with 7.0 rebounds, which is ninth in the league. He is second in free throw percentage (.852) and minutes played (34.1) and fourth in three-pointers made (2.6).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 9.0 points and second with 4.7 rebounds. He is tied for fourth in C-USA with 1.2 blocks.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 8.1 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.891) and is third in assists (5.4).
• Rice is averaging 74.6 points per game while allowing 79.1.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.2% from the field and 31.3% from the three-point line while allowing 47.6% from the field and 40.6% from beyond the arc.
• Rice leads Conference USA in free throw percentage, connecting on 72.9%.
• Marshall enters the game with an 8-9 record. The Thundering Herd are 4-0 in Conference USA after defeating North Texas, 97-78, on Thursday.
• Senior forward James Kelly leads Marshall with 18.6 points per game, which is second in C-USA. He is third in the league in rebounding (9.8), seventh in free throw percentage (.789) and blocks (1.1) and eighth in field goal percentage (.549).
• Junior forward Ryan Taylor is second on the team in with 14.1 points. He is tied for ninth in the conference with 3.6 assists per game and is 10th in field goal percentage (.530).
• Sophomore guard Jon Elmore is scoring 13.0 points per game.
• Junior guard Stevie Browning is averaging 12.4 points per game. He is tied for seventh in the league in steals (1.4), is eighth in assists (3.8) and 10th in minutes played (31.6).
• Junior Austin Loop is scoring 10.4 points per game. He is 2nd in C-USA in three-pointers made per game (2.9) and tied for seventh in three-point field goal percentage (.417).
• Marshall leads the league in scoring, averaging 81.5 points per game. However, the Thundering Herd is allowing 81.6.
• Marshall is connecting on 44.2% from the field and 30.6% from the three-point line and is allowing 46.4% from the floor and 36.4% from three.
• The Thundering Herd leads Conference USA in steals (8.4) and three-pointers made per game (9.2) and is second in assists (16.1).
• Dan D’Antoni is in his second season at the helm of the Marshall basketball program, where he has a 19-30 (.388) record.
• Rice goes back on the road next Thursday, Jan. 21, when it travels to Birmingham, Ala., to face UAB. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and will be nationally-televised by CBS Sports Network.