Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Men’s Basketball Earns NABC Team Academic...
07/29/2016 - For the fourth consecutive year, the Rice men’s basketball team earned the National Association of Basketball Coaches Team Academic Award,...
Marcus Jackson Named to NABC Honors Court
07/28/2016 - Rice junior basketball player Marcus Jackson was named to the NABC Honors Court, the organization announced.
Men’s Hoops Releases 2016-17 Schedule
07/13/2016 - 17 home games highlight the 2016-17 Rice Men’s Basketball schedule, announced Wednesday afternoon by Rice Head Coach Mike Rhoades.
Rice Earns C-USA Institutional Excellence Award
07/12/2016 - For the ninth time in the past 11 years, Rice University student-athletes earned the Conference USA Institutional Excellence Award in 2015-16 by...
Bonner Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
07/11/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Rhett Bonner to the coaching staff as Director of Operations. Bonner joins the Owls...
Brown Named Men's Basketball Strength Coach
06/30/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Donald Brown as the Men's Basketball Strength and Conditioning Coach.
Rodriguez Added to Men’s Basketball Staff
06/29/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of Joey Rodriguez to the coaching staff as video coordinator. Rodriguez joins the Owls...
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition
06/13/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store