Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Men’s Basketball at New Mexico to Be...
09/17/2015 - The December 19 men’s basketball game at New Mexico will be televised by ROOT Sports.
Two Men's Hoops Games to Be Televised
09/16/2015 - Two men’s basketball games have been selected by a pair of networks to be televised during the 2015-16 season.
Men's Basketball Season Tickets Now on Sale
09/11/2015 - Season tickets for the exciting second season of the Mike Rhoades era of Rice Men’s Basketball are now on sale.
Ricky Pierce Named to Southwest Conference Hall...
08/12/2015 - Former Rice men’s basketball player Ricky Pierce has been inducted to the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame, announced Wednesday afternoon by...
Men's Hoops Trio Named to NABC Honors Court
07/31/2015 - For the second time this week, Rice men’s basketball has been honored by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Seth Gearhart, Dan...
Men’s Basketball Earns NABC Team Academic...
07/29/2015 - For the third consecutive year, the Rice men’s basketball team earned the National Association of Basketball Coaches Team Academic Award,...
Conference USA Releases 2016 Men's Basketball...
07/20/2015 - After opening play with three consecutive road games, the Rice men's basketball team will open their Conference USA home scheduled when the Owls...
Men's Basketball Announces 2015-16 Non-Conferen...
07/14/2015 - Year two of the Mike Rhoades era of Rice men's basketball will open on November 13 when the Owls travel to Berkeley, California to face off against...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store