Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Joe Karlgaard Statement on Men's Basketball...
03/21/2017 - Statement from Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard on the Men's Basketball Coaching position.
Rice Falls to Utah Valley, 85-79 in CBI...
03/20/2017 - Rice placed six players in double-figures, but it was not enough as the Owls fell, 85-79, to Utah Valley in the CBI Quarterfinals, Monday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Utah Valley in...
03/19/2017 - Rice will host Utah Valley in the quarterfinals of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Monday, Mar. 20. Tip-off is...
Evans' Late Push Gives Rice 85-76 Victory over ...
03/15/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 12 of Rice’s final 15 points as the Owls closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat San Francisco 85-76 and advance to the...
Men’s Hoops Opens CBI against San Francisco
03/14/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by Five Four, this Wednesday, Mar. 15. Tip-off is ...
Rice to Host San Francisco in First Round of CBI
03/12/2017 - Rice will host San Francisco in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational presented by FIVE FOUR this Wednesday, Mar. 15 at 7 p.m. CT,...
Rice Falls to UTEP, 86-76, in C-USA Quarterfinals
03/09/2017 - Dominic Artis scored 20 of his season-high 26 points, and UTEP scored 20 of the last 25, in the first half before holding off Rice for an 86-76 win...
Rice Defeats Southern Miss 86-75 in First Round...
03/08/2017 - Marcus Evans made five 3-pointers and scored 26 points, Marcus Jackson added 20 points, and No. 5 seed Rice beat 12th-seeded Southern Mississippi...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store