Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Evans' Record Setting Day Not Enough as Rice...
01/07/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 23 points to reach 1,000 career points, but it was not enough as Rice fell in overtime to UAB, 88-81.
Men’s Basketball Continues Homestand with...
01/06/2017 - Rice looks to get back on track this Saturday, Jan. 7, when it hosts UAB. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
Rice Drops Heartbreaker to Middle Tennessee, 80-77
01/05/2017 - Rice battled back from a 13-point second half deficit to tie the game, but in the end it was not enough, as the Owls fell 80-77 to Middle Tennessee...
Men's Basketball Opens C-USA Home Slate against...
01/04/2017 - Rice begins its home conference schedule this Thursday, Jan. 5, when it hosts Middle Tennessee. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be broadcast ...
Rice Downs Charlotte, 89-70
01/02/2017 - Rice placed five players in double-figures on its way to an 89-70 win at Charlotte to pick up its first conference win of the season.
Men’s Basketball Begins 2017 at Charlotte
01/01/2017 - Rice closes its conference opening road trip this Monday, Jan. 2, when it travels to Charlotte, N.C., to face Charlotte. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ...
Rice Falls to Old Dominion 62-56 in C-USA opener
12/31/2016 - Egor Koulechov scored 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Rice (10-3) led 31-30 at the half, and back-to-back layups by Austin Meyer and a jumper ...
Men’s Hoops Opens C-USA Slate at Old...
12/30/2016 - Rice opens the Conference USA season this Saturday, Dec. 31, when it travels to Norfolk, Va., to face Old Dominion. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. CT...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store