Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Chad Lott Nominated for NABC Good Works Team
11/30/2016 - Redshirt freshman Chad Lott was named a nominee to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Good Works Team, announced Wednesday...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Crosstown Foe Houston...
11/29/2016 - Rice returns home this Wednesday, Nov. 30, when it hosts crosstown foe Houston Baptist. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed by...
Koulechov's Career Day Leads Rice to 87-79 Win ...
11/26/2016 - Egor Koulechov made all six of his 3-point attempts for a career-high 35 points as Rice pulled away late to beat Incarnate Word 87-79 on Saturday.
Men’s Basketball Heads to San Antonio to ...
11/25/2016 - Rice stays in the state of Texas this Saturday, Nov. 26, when it travels to San Antonio to face Incarnate Word. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CT.
Rice Uses Late Spurt to Down Delaware State, 80-58
11/23/2016 - Rice outscored Delaware State, 35-12, in the final 10 minutes to earn an 80-58 victory Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Basketball Closes Homestand against...
11/22/2016 - Rice closes its homestand this Wednesday, Nov. 23, when it hosts Delaware State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
Second Half Comeback Propels Rice to 83-78...
11/21/2016 - Marcus Evans scored on a layup and knocked down 3 of 4 from the free throw line, all in the final minute, as Rice held off Montana State 83-78 on...
Men’s Hoops Opens Homestand Against...
11/20/2016 - Rice begins a two-game homestand this Monday, Nov. 21, when it hosts Montana State. TIp-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed on CUSA.tv.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store