Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
San Francisco Controls Owls
11/17/2015 - Rice got down early and could not catch up, falling 80-54, to San Francisco Monday night at War Memorial Gymnasium.
Men’s Basketball Closes Opening Road Trip...
11/15/2015 - Rice closes its opening road trip this Monday, Nov. 16, when it faces San Francisco. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. CT and will be live streamed...
Rice Falls at No. 14 Cal in Season Opener
11/14/2015 - Rice dropped its second straight season opener, 97-65, at 14th-ranked California, Friday night in front of 10,530 at Haas Pavilion.
Men’s Basketball Opens 2015-16 Season at ...
11/12/2015 - Rice opens the 2015-16 campaign when it travels to Berkeley, Calif., to face 14th-ranked Cal on Friday, Nov. 13, at 10:30 p.m. CT. The game will be...
Men’s Basketball Signs High School Duo
11/11/2015 - Rice men’s basketball coach Mike Rhoades has announced the signing of Tim Harrison (San Diego, Calif.) and Ako Adams (Arlington, Va.) to...
Men's Basketball Rolls LeTourneau, 102-78
11/07/2015 - Rice came out shooting and never looked back, rolling in its only exhibition action, 102-78, over LeTourneau, Friday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Basketball Hosts LeTourneau in...
11/06/2015 - Rice will play its first game of the 2015-16 campaign when it welcomes the LeTourneau Yellow Jackets to Tudor Fieldhouse on Saturday, Nov. 7, at 7 ...
ASN Makes Change to Men’s Basketball...
10/28/2015 - The American Sports Network has changed a pair of games to its men’s basketball television schedule.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store