Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Mike Rhoades Radio Show Continues Tonight from ...
02/13/2017 - The Mike Rhoades Radio Show continues tonight at 7 p.m. from the Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar (5555 Morningside Drive).
A Class Effort
Rice Rallies to Defeat Florida Atlantic in...
02/11/2017 - Marcus Evans scored 28 points and the go-ahead basket while Marquez Letcher-Ellis made four-straight free throws in the last 17 seconds and Rice...
Men’s Hoops Takes on Florida Atlantic in ...
02/10/2017 - Rice closes its three-game road trip this Saturday, Feb. 11, when it travels to Boca Raton, Fla., to face Florida Atlantic. Tip-off is set for 6 p....
Rice Uses Late Run to Defeat FIU, 89-78
02/09/2017 - Rice used a 21-8 run late in the second half to turn a 59-59 tie into an 89-78 win over FIU, Thursday night at Lime Court FIU Arena.
Behind the Scenes: On the road with men's...
Men’s Basketball Travels to Florida for...
02/08/2017 - Rice continues its three-game road trip this Thursday, Feb. 9, when it travels to Miami, Fla., to face FIU. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. CT and will...
Fast Start Propels Rice to 95-80 win at North...
02/04/2017 - Rice jumped out to an 18-2 lead and never looked back, as 11 Owls found the scoresheet in a 95-80 victory over North Texas, Saturday afternoon at...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store