Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Marcus Evans Earns Sixth Straight Freshman of...
03/07/2016 - For the sixth straight week and the 10th time this season, Marcus Evans was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media,...
Evans Named First Team All-Conference USA
03/07/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named First Team All-Conference USA, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Rice to Face Charlotte at C-USA Tournament
03/05/2016 - Rice will be the 10th seed in next week’s Conference USA Tournament, to be played in Birmingham, Ala., Conference USA announced Saturday...
Comeback Comes up Short as Rice Drops Regular...
03/05/2016 - Rice cut a 17-point second half deficit to three-points, but two turnovers in the final minute and a half proved costly as the Owls fell, 74-67 on ...
Men’s Hoops Closes Regular Season with...
03/04/2016 - Rice closes the regular season on Saturday, Mar. 5, when it hosts Old Dominion. The Owls will honor Max Guercy on Senior Day. Tip-off is scheduled ...
Rice Falls to Charlotte, 88-75
03/03/2016 - Rice battled back from an early deficit but it was not enough, as the Owls fell 88-75 to Charlotte Thursday night from Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men’s Hoops Hosts Charlotte to Begin...
03/02/2016 - Rice begins its final weekend of the season this Thursday, Mar. 3, when it hosts Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Evans Earns Fifth Straight Freshman of the Week...
02/29/2016 - For the fifth straight week and the ninth time this season, Marcus Evans was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media, ...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store