Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Rice Earns First Win of the Season with 92-84...
11/25/2015 - Rice placed six players in double-figures on its way to picking up its first win of the season, 92-84 over Lamar, Wednesday night at Tudor Fieldhouse.
Men's Basketball Closes Roundball Showcase...
11/24/2015 - Rice finishes out the Roundball Showcase this Wednesday, Nov. 25, when it hosts Lamar. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Fresno State Pulls Away from Rice, 82-65
11/22/2015 - For the second straight game ,Rice started out hot, but could not keep it going, as Fresno State snapped a five-game losing streak to the Owls, 82-...
Men's Hoops Hosts Fresno State in Roundball...
11/21/2015 - Rice continues its five-game homestand this Sunday, Nov. 22, when it hosts Fresno State in the second game of the Roundball Showcase. Tip-off is...
Comeback Falls Short as Rice Drops Home Opener ...
11/20/2015 - Rice made a valiant comeback attempt, but ultimately, it fell short, as the Owls dropped its home opener, 77-69, to Oregon State Thursday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Begins Five-Game Homestand...
11/18/2015 - Rice begins a five-game homestand this Thursday, Nov. 19, when it hosts Oregon State. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and will televised by ASN.
San Francisco Controls Owls
11/17/2015 - Rice got down early and could not catch up, falling 80-54, to San Francisco Monday night at War Memorial Gymnasium.
Men’s Basketball Closes Opening Road Trip...
11/15/2015 - Rice closes its opening road trip this Monday, Nov. 16, when it faces San Francisco. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. CT and will be live streamed...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store