Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Strong Second Half Propels Rice to Victory over...
02/06/2016 - Rice made its first eight shots of the second half to turn a one-point halftime deficit into a 72-65 victory over Southern Miss, Saturday night at ...
Men’s Hoops Closes Homestand Versus...
02/05/2016 - Rice closes its three-game homestand this Saturday, February 6, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Evans' Record-Setting Day Not Enough as Rice...
02/04/2016 - Marcus Evans scored 17 points to become Rice’s all-time freshman scoring leader, but it was not enough as the Owls fell to Louisiana Tech, 90...
Men’s Hoops Hosts Louisiana Tech
02/03/2016 - Rice continues its three-game homestand this Thursday, February 4, when it hosts Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Marcus Evans Earns Fifth C-USA Freshman of the ...
02/01/2016 - Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Week in a vote by the media, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.
Second Half Play Propels Men's Basketball over ...
01/30/2016 - Rice shot 64.0% from the field in the second half on its way to a 95-87 victory, Saturday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. The 95 points were a season-high.
Men's Hoops Begins Homestand against North Texas
01/29/2016 - Rice begins a three-game homestand this Saturday, January 30, when it hosts in-state rival North Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.
Guercy's 20 Points Not Enough as Rice Falls at ...
01/23/2016 - A four-minute, 17-0 Middle Tennessee run turned a two-point lead into a 15-point deficit that Rice could not get itself out of as the Owls fell, 87...
- Top Videos /
- Online Store