Jan. 10, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – Rice University men’s basketball closes out its three-game home stand against another Conference USA newcomer in Florida Atlantic. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday at Tudor Fieldhouse.
The Owls (5-9, 0-1 C-USA) fell in a tight game to FIU in the league opener on Thursday and are poised to bounce back to claim their first league win of the season as FAU is 0-7 away from home.
Rice has held each of its last five opponents below their season scoring average.
The Owls committed a season-low six turnovers against the Panthers on Thursday, and benefitted from 22 points off the bench.
Last Time Out
• A tight game saw nine ties and 16 lead changes, but FIU shut down the Owls’ offense in the final minutes to claim a 71-60 victory in its first-ever Conference USA game.
• Austin Ramljak led the Rice attack with 14 points, including three longballs.
• Sean Obi hauled in a team-high eight rebounds to accompany seven points, but the bench performance may have been the most notable one of the night.
• Andrew Drone scored nine points and Drew Bender matched a season high with eight as the Rice reserves accounted for 22 points.
• The Owls turned the ball over a season-low six times in the game, but those miscues amounted to 12 Panther points.
Scouting the (Other) Owls (4-11, 0-1)
• Florida Atlantic played its first-ever Conference USA game on Thursday at Louisiana Tech, an 84-64 setback.
• Jackson Trapp led the team with 16 points in the game, including four three-pointers. He averages 10.0 points per game on the season.
• Pablo Bertone is the team’s leading scorer at 18.5 points per game, good for third in the league.
• The Owls are 0-7 on the road this season and have lost four out of their last five games overall. When the team wins, it wins big as its four victories have come by an average of 25.0 points.
• Rebounding has been a strength of head coach Mike Jarvis’ team this season as the squad pulls in 39.6 boards per game, 4.7 more than its opponents.
• The new conference mates have never met on the hardwood.
The Owls take to the road to face Southern Miss on Thursday and Tulane on Saturday next week in the first C-USA road trip of the year.
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition
06/13/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Max Guercy's Chinese Expedition - Week 1
05/24/2016 - Max Guercy is spending a month in China playing in exhibition games against the CBA and Chinese National Team.
Scott Added to Men's Basketball Coaching Staff
05/16/2016 - Rice head coach Mike Rhoades has announced the addition of former Owl standout Brent Scott to the coaching staff as assistant coach. Scott joins...
2016 Coaches' Caravan Dates Announced
04/15/2016 - Rice fans in Texas will once again have a chance to get the latest updates on Rice Athletics in general and football and basketball in particular...
Men's Basketball Signs High School Trio
04/13/2016 - Rice men’s basketball coach Mike Rhoades has announced the signing of Robert Martin (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Corey Douglas (Louisville, Ky.) and...
Season Ends as Rice Falls 79-69 to Charlotte in...
03/09/2016 - Charlotte closed the game on an 18-8 as Rice fell, 79-69, in the second round of the Conference USA Tournament.
Men's Hoops Begins C-USA Tournament against...
03/08/2016 - No. 10 seed Rice opens the Conference USA Tournament on Wednesday, March 9, against seventh-seeded Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT...
Marcus Evans Named Conference USA Freshman of...
03/08/2016 - Freshman Marcus Evans was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year, the conference office announced Tuesday morning.
- Top Videos /
- Online Store