By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Rice Falls to Old Dominion, 80-72
Marcus Evans led Rice (13-8, 3-5) with 23 points on 6-for-7 shooting from 3-point range in an 80-72 loss Thursday night.
HOUSTON -- Rice begins its home conference schedule this Thursday, Jan. 4 when it hosts Old Dominion. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT. The game will be livestreamed at CUSA.tv.
• Rice is 3-12 on the year and 0-2 in Conference USA. The Owls are looking to snap a five-game losing streak after falling to UTEP last Saturday, 80-62.
• Junior guard Connor Cashaw is 10th in Conference USA in scoring (16.3) and eighth in rebounding (6.9). He is also averaging 2.8 assists and 2.0 three-pointers per game.
• Graduate guard A.J. Lapray is second on the team with 10.6 points and is connecting on 44.0% from beyond the arc.
• Sophomore guard Ako Adams is averaging 8.1 points and 2.9 boards. He also leads the team with 3.3 assists.
• Freshman Malik Osborne is second on the team in rebounding with 6.3 boards.
• The Owls are averaging 66.5 points per game while allowing 75.7.
• Rice is connecting on just 39.3% from the floor and 30.4% from three. Its opponents are shooting 44.3% from the field and are being held to just 33.1% from beyond the arc, which is tops in Conference USA.
• The Owls are also outrebounding their opponents, 38.1-to-37.1.
• Head coach Scott Pera is in his first season leading the Rice men's basketball program after serving its last three years as its Associate Head Coach.
Scouting Old Dominion
• Old Dominion enters tonight's game with a 10-3 record and 1-0 in Conference USA. The Monarchs are on a five-game winning streak after defeating Charlotte in their C-USA opener last Saturday, 89-58.
• Junior guard Ahmad Caver leads the squad in scoring with 14.5 points. He leads the league in minutes played (37.1), is second in assists (6.3), third in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.6) and seventh in steals (1.8).
• Junior guard B.J. Stith is second on the team in points, scoring 14.4 a game. He is also ninth in C-USA in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 43.5%.
• Senior guard Randy Haynes is scoring 11.5 points per game and junior forward Trey Porter is averaging 11.4 points while placing second in the conference in blocks (2.2) and fifth in field goal percentage (.581).
• Senior forward Brandan Stith is averaging 9.2 points. He is also sixth in the league in blocks (1.5), seventh in field goal percentage (.573) and ninth in rebounding (6.7).
• Old Dominion is scoring 74.0 points per game and while allowing a league-low 60.8.
• The Monarchs are connecting on 44.6% from the field and 34.2% from three. Their opponents are connecting on a league-low 37.9% from the floor but 34.7% from beyond the arc.
• ODU is outrebounding its opponents, 39.9-to-34.0.
• Old Dominion is also second in Conference USA in blocks (5.3) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5) • Head coach Jeff Jones is in his fifth season at the helm of the Old Dominion men's basketball program, where he holds a 99-54 (.647) record. In 25 years as a head coach, Jones is 455-341 (.572).
• Rice and Old Dominion will meet for the ninth time overall.
• The Owls are just 1-7 in the series and have lost the last three meetings.
• Rice is looking for their first win at home, having lost the previous three games.
• Rice's only win came in 2016, a 75-66 victory in Norfolk.
• Rice continues its homestand this Saturday, Jan. 6, when it hosts Charlotte. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. CT and the game will be livestreamed by ESPN3.