Listen Live | Gametracker | Game Notes
San Antonio, Texas
Men's Basketball Sweeps UTSA with Road Win
Seth Gearhart and Marcus Jackson combined for 48 points and Max Guercy chipped in a double-double as Rice University men's basketball topped UTSA, 76-74, on the road on Thursday night.
HOUSTON — Rice continues its road trip this Sunday, Jan. 3, when it travels to San Antonio to take on UTSA. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. CT.
• Rice and UTSA will meet for the 10th time and the fourth as members of Conference USA.
• UTSA holds a 5-4 advantage overall, but the Owls have won the last two.
• In games played in San Antonio, the Roadrunners hold a 3-1 lead. Rice’s only win in San Antonio came last year, a 76-74 victory.
• Rice enters today’s game with a 5-9 record. The Owls are looking to snap a three-game losing streak after dropping their conference opener at UTEP, 61-60, on Friday.
• Freshman Marcus Evans leads Conference USA in scoring, averaging 19.3 per game. He is also second in steals (2.0) and fourth in minutes played (33.0).
• Redshirt sophomore Egor Koulechov is second in the conference in scoring, averaging 18.4 points while leading the team with 7.1 rebounds, which is ninth in C-USA. He leads the conference in minutes played (34.1), is second in three-pointers made (2.9) and third in free throw percentage (.817).
• Freshman Marquez Letcher-Ellis is third on the team with 8.1 points and second with 4.9 rebounds. He is fifth in C-USA with 1.4 blocks.
• Senior Max Guercy is averaging 7.6 points. He leads the league in free throw percentage (.885) and is second in assists (5.6).
• Rice is averaging 73.7 points per game while allowing 78.7.
• The Owls are connecting on 43.0% from the field and 30.8% from the three-point line while allowing 47.3% from the field and 4217% from beyond the arc.
• UTSA enters the game with a 2-12 record. The Roadrunners have lost three straight and nine of 10 after falling, 70-66, Friday night to North Texas in its Conference USA opener.
• Senior guard Ryan Bowie is fourth in the league in scoring, averaging 18.3 points per game. He is also second in minutes played (33.4), fourth in free throw percentage (.806) and seventh in rebounding (7.6) and three-point field goal percentage (.416).
• Junior guard J.R. Harris is averaging 10.8 points per game.
• Sophomore guard Gino Littles is averaging 8.4 points. He is sixth in the conference in minutes played (32.1) and 10th in steals (1.4).
• UTSA is averaging 70.9 points per game while allowing 85.3.
• The Roadrunners are connecting on 42.1% from the field and 31.2% from the three-point line while allowing 50.5% from the field and 41.0% from beyond the arc.
• Brooks Thompson is in his 10th season at the helm of the UTSA basketball program, where he has a 130-163 (.444) record. In 12 years as a head coach, he is 185-177 (.511).
• Rice closes its three-game road swing this Saturday, Jan. 9, when it travels to Denton to take on North Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT and will be televised by ASN.