Rice Owls Athlecics
Rice Owls Promos
2011 Gameday Central The R - A Rice Blog Owl Club Ask the AD Rice on Twitter Replay Photos 2007 Champions Book This Week at Rice Newsletter Rice Owls News
Berkman Comes Up Huge For Cardinals This Season
10/30/11 - By Joe Strauss, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Berkman's Bat Helps Cardinals Stay Alive
10/28/11 - The Associated Press

Cingrani Made Transitions Look Easy
10/27/11 - By Ashley Marshall, MiLB.com

From Foe to Friend for Cards' Berkman
10/20/11 - By Andrew Keh, The New York Times

Breaking Down Anthony Rendon's Swing
8/16/11 - By Adam Kilgore, The Washington Post

Despite injury, Klare could start for Rice next season
8/15/2011 - By Coy Slavik, Corpus Christi Caller-Times

After injuries, Jaguars receiver Jarett Dillard determined to make up for lost time
8/3/2011 - By Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union

Texans option tight end Casey into backfield
8/1/2011 - By David Dalati, FoxSportsHouston.com

Rice's Anthony Rendon Stands Wrists & Shoulders Above The Rest
7/25/11 - By Adam Kilgore, The Washington Post

Adam earns `Elite' honors
6/8/11 - By Joe Bailey, Santa Maria Times

Region golfer Drew Scott to caddy for Tiger Woods' replacement at U.S. Open
6/8/11 - By Sammy Batten, The Fayetteville Observer, N.C.

Going for the Gold
6/8/11 - By Jeremy Weber, Gonzales Inquirer

Politi at the U.S. Open: Michael Whitehead relishes role as Golfer Who Replaced Tiger Woods
6/8/11 - By Steve Politi, Star-Ledger

Whitehead, aka 'Tiger's replacement,' a hot topic
6/8/11 - By Ron Kroichick, San Francisco Chronicle

Meet Michael Whitehead, Tiger Woods's U.S. Open Replacement
6/8/11 - By Mike Wise, Washington Post

Owl, Cougar don't let rivalry impede friendship
6/8/11 - By Sam Khan, Jr., Houston Chronicle

Cingrani penning quite the revival
5/19/11 - By Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

James Casey, an inspirational journey ... to a degree
5/13/11 - By Richard Justice, Houston Chronicle

Hallelujah Ozougwu
4/30/11 - By Steve Virgen, Daily Pilot

Palestine grad Cary wants to teach kids the path to success
3/22/11 - By JUSTIN RAINS, Palestine Herald Press

The Joe DiMaggio of College Baseball
2/16/11 - By Andy Gardiner, USA Today

Rice's standout freshman Jessica Kuster has been taking Conference USA by storm
2/12/11 - By Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

Rice's 'Rudy' gives sports a good name
1/27/11 - By Richard Justice, Houston Chronicle

Local Punter Looks Ahead
1/12/11 - By Justin Wickersham , KNBN New Center 1, Rapid City

Cowboys' Garrett wants to see more of Sendejo
12/16/10 - By Thom Osborne, San Antonio Express-News

Pendleton excited to be with hometown Astros
12/13/10 - By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com

Janish ready to be Reds' everyday shortstop
12/13/10 - By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Rice alum Sendejo fulfills dream, signs with Cowboys
11/25/10 - By Thom Osborne, San Antonio Express-News

Pool's cue: Former Pearland player shines
11/25/10 - By Ted Dunnam, Pearland Journal

Klein Forest junior contributes on Rice defensive line
11/10/10 - By Michael Sudhalter, Champions Sun

Rice-Tulsa creates family feud at Randolph house
11/3/10 - By Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

Hawaii Grown - Meredith Loves New Surroundings
9/22/10 - By Billy Hull, Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Michael Smith is about to visit a place where his deceased brother's memory is very much alive
9/9/10 - By Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

Bailiff reunites with mentor, Texas' coach Brown
9/1/10 - By Richard Justice, Houston Chronicle

Rice's McGuffie is ready to run again
9/1/10 - By Kevin Robbins, Austin American Statesman

Rendon taking it slow with injury
8/26/10 - By Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

Whitehead can't avoid pressure at the U.S. Amateur
8/23/10 - By Todd Hveem, Houston Chronicle

Owls' stocked backfield creates new challenge
8/21/10 - By Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

McGuffie center of attention at Rice media day
8/7/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Texans jack-of-all-trades Casey growing more confident
8/7/10 - By Jordan Goodwin, Houston Chronicle

Andy Erickson Impresses in THSCA All Star Game
7/20/10 - By Rick Cantu, Austin American Statesman

Anthnony Rendon, 2010 Player of the Year
7/16/10 - By Aaron Fitt, Basaeball America

Tara Watts shone on and off the court at academic powerhouse Rice
6/14/10 - By Howard Tsumura, The Province

Rice, UH committed to C-USA
6/12/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Rice's Rendon can mash with the best of 'em
6/4/10 - By Kirk Bohls, Austin American Statesman

Ojala's return gives Rice a lift
6/4/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Rice Blog: What's in a name?
6/3/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Guerry in college tennis Hall of Fame
5/27/10 - By John Frierson, Chatanooga Times Free Press

Comerota's time at Rice big success
5/15/10 - By Richard Justice, Houston Chronicle

Ten shots with Rice basketball coach Ben Braun
5/13/10 - By Matt Samuels, Jewish Herald-Voice

Owls' Rendon one of a kind
5/5/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Owls' Rosa looks to end career with a bang
5/5/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Rice's Rosa has moment to savor
4/29/10 - By Dale Robertson, Houston Chronicle

New AD Greenspan ready for opportunity
4/14/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Michigan transfer Sam McGuffie happy to be back home at Rice
3/29/10 - By Andy Staples, SportsIllustrated.com

Former Owl Standout Guerry Elected to Collegiate Tennis Hall of Fame
2/25/10 - By B.B. Branton, The Chattanoogan

Rice a chip off the old block
2/20/10 - By Jeffrey Martin, Houston Chronicle

Rice starting to gain momentum
2/18/10 - By Eric Soderstrom, GolfWeek

Rice golf team living up to goals, ruling the city
2/17/10 - By Todd Hveen for the Houston Chronicle

Casey puts his mind to it, finds success
2/17/10 - By Richard Justice, Houston Chronicle

Wayne Graham Is Living Out His Dream
2/2/10 - By Michael Murphy, Baseball America

New class of Texas sports heroes
2/8/10 - By John Werner, Waco Tribune-Herald

Numbers tell Lance Berkman's success story
2/8/10 - By Brice Cherry , Waco Tribune-Herald

'Two Minute Tommy' had NFL future in his crosshairs
2/6/10 - By Jason Ortts, Waco Tribune

Schwarze Goes from Bench to Starting Lineup for Rice
1/21/10 - By Terry Jacoby, Chelsea Standard

Top 10 Stories from the Fall Season
1/4/10 - By Lance Ringler & Sean Martin, GolfWeek

Arsalan Kazemi breaks through, from Iran to Division I
11/27/09 - By Luke Winn, Sports Illustrated.com

Dr. James Castañeda
Jim Castañeda Memorial Guest Book

Rice University Athletics invites you to share your thoughts and memories of Jim Castañeda, on this special guest book.

Please remember that all entries will not display immediately, but there is no need to re-submit your message.

greg williams (houston): I played freshman baseball for coach, and thoroughly enjoyed my experience under his direction. I later became a coach, and his mentorship was always w/me...in fact I wish I could have emulated his coaching demeanor more closey. Coach never forgot his former-players and was always there w/kind,encouraging words even after we left his direct-coaching contact. He was a wonderful role model for me personally and professionally and I feel blessed to have known him and to have been able to call him "coach." I will miss him, but never forget him.

James, Missouri City: What a kind man, what a great life, what a terrible shame to know he is gone. Rest in Peace.

Reckling Regular: To have seen him Saturday, happy as always to be at the park, watching baseball, and to know he's now gone. It's just not going to be the same.

Casey (Sydney): Dr. Castaneda carried more passion and love for Rice athletics than anyone I've ever met. His enthusiasm was palpable, and his knowledge of Rice's athletic history was unmatched. He will be missed.

Glen & Joan Krajca-Radcliffe: A great loss for the University and the many students, alumni, and friends that he touched.

Patty (Houston): I had the unique experience of driving with Jim to/from Omaha in 2003. From that point on, I was his Omaha buddy before any other role I might play. I'm saddened that we were unable to make another trek to Omaha together, but the next time I get up there, I will certainly be thinking of you.

Bill Cousins: I know of no one who loved Rice athletics more than Jim. Even more, he loved Rice athletes. The university will miss his passion and compassion more than it can ever know.

Danny Blonien (Dallas): Coach Castaneda took over the Rice golf program while I was at Rice, and he was a great inspiration and mentor to me and the others. He was such a leader in so many ways to not only the golf and baseball programs at Rice, but to the Spanish department and the NCAA. He was a consummate scholar athlete himself and inspired all of us who played for him at Rice to strive to be outstanding first in the classroom but also on the playing fields of big-time college athletics. I am forever grateful to have known Coach Castaneda, and he has forever impacted the great community of Rice University. Coach, we will all miss you. Danny Blonien Class of 1984, Member of the Rice Golf Team 1980-1984

Blake Johnson ('91): Coach was the consummate renaissance man and a great inspiration to all of us. Jim gave freely of himself with an unlimited energy source. He loved to laugh and we loved to make him laugh. I can't imagine Rice without him. Thanks Coach!

Amanda: Dr. C was a class act. There were few like him, and he will be missed. He loved Rice and Rice athletics, and no one was a bigger cheerleader for the university than he was. We have a lost one of the truly great men who ever lived. My thoughts and prayers to his family, and the Rice family.

Bo Carter (Dallas): Dear Rice Athletics Family - No one spent more time devoting his efforts to integrity and quality in athletics than Dr. Jim Castaneda. As a friend for over 20 years and former associate in the SWC, I send my deepest sympathy to Dr. C's extended family and Rice University.

Kyle Kallander (Charlotte): From the time I first met him as an SWC staffer, Jim Castaneda was a true and warm friend. Everyone in intercollegiate athletics owes him a debt of gratitude and he will be sorely missed.

Former Owl: Although I was never formally introduced to Jim Castaneda, he always gave me a warm smile and struck up a conversation when I passed by him in the athletic offices at Autry. I constantly saw him around campus with his little dog, or riding the bike in the cardio room at Autry. Rice has lost a great man.

John Coles (Houston): Dr. C was the true renaissance man. A scholar, athlete, and gentleman who touched everyone with human kindness. He will be missed.

Jason (Hattiesburg): I'll miss you Dr. Castaneda. I was really looking forward to seeing you at some events this season.

Pedro Caram- Ft. Bliss, Tx: I am going to miss his charm and humor. He was a friend to me and my family for many years, having taught me and my mother.

Steve Justice (League City): Dr. C I will never forget all of the times that we sat together in the Rice suite at the baseball games. You knew so much about so many different things. I will miss you always.

Jim Duke (Rice Golf '97): Coachie!!!We will miss you...Coachie had a true passion that was like no other. No matter if it was Spanish, golf, baseball, etc. he embodied devotion and spirit in all he did. If we all had the passion and optimistic outlook that coach delivered, the world would be a better place. I know that Rice University, and most importantly the Athletic Department, are different because of Coach.

Delise (Indianapolis): Rest in peace... he was much loved by his NCAA family

Dave Welsh (Lubbock): To my mentor and friend: your wisdom was invaluable to me during our years together at Autry Court. You made me a better person. My heart goes out to Clara. I will miss you tremendously.

Jeff Sweet (Washington): I have known Dr. Castaneda almost all my life. He was a family friend and he was so kind to ask me to be the bat boy for the baseball team in the late 70's and early 80's. For a 10 year old, that is a big deal and I still look back with fond memories. Also when I would play golf and hit a bad shot, he would always race to me and say "smile, keep your chin up". I still apply that today. A great person, very nice man and will be sorely missed. I am thankful that I knew him.

Canek: You were such an awesome guy. Ojala te veo.

Mike Morgan (Houston): Dr. Jim you were a great friend and mentor! I will miss you.

Lisa S (Houston): I served with Dr. Jim on a committee and was touched by his warmth, good cheer, and willingness to serve. He will be missed.
Rice